For those using an iPad running iPadOS 15, Activation Lock is an essential security feature. It ensures that only the original owner can access the tablet, making it useless to the thief if it is stolen.
To find out more, see What is the iCloud Activation Lock.
Unfortunately, this can be a problem if a user needs to access an iPad with Activation Lock enabled.
Fortunately, there are several ways to remove Activation Lock on iPadOS 15 devices.
Here, we‘ll explain how to use Apple–recommended and third–party methods to unlock Activation Lock. Step–by–step instructions will be provided for each.
Table of Contents
Method 1: Reset Apple ID
If you’ve forgotten the Apple ID associated with the iPad, the first step is to reset the Apple ID.
There are a number of ways to do this including via the Apple ID account page. You’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID and answer a few security questions.
Once you’ve successfully reset your Apple ID, you can log in and remove the Activation Lock from the tablet.
You can also bypass the Activation Lock on iPadOS 15 using another Apple device.
It’s the simplest and most secure way to unlock the device.
You can’t reset your Apple ID if you don’t remember your password or security questions.
For more information, see How to reset Apple ID password if you forget it.
Online via a web browser
- Go to the Apple ID account page and select “Forgot Apple ID or Password”.
- Enter your Apple ID and answer the security questions.
- Reset your Apple ID and log in to your account.
- Access the Activation Lock page and select the “Remove Activation Lock” option.
- Follow the steps to unlock the device.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to access the tablet.
- The iPad will be unlocked and you’ll be able to use it normally.
Using another trusted Apple device you own
You can use another Apple device you own to reset your Apple ID. This is one that you’re already signed in to with your Apple ID, so that Apple knows it’s yours.
- Open the Settings app on your iPad.
- Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- Select the Password & Security option.
- Tap the Change Password option.
- Enter your current password and then enter your new password twice to confirm.
- Tap the Done button to save your changes.
- Your password will now be reset and you can use your new password to log in to your Apple ID account.
Using a loaned Apple device
If you don’t own another Apple product, you can borrow a device from a friend or family member, or use one at an Apple Store iPad to perform the reset.
- Download the Apple Support app from the App Store, if necessary.
- Open the Apple Support app on the borrowed Apple device.
- Scroll down to Support Tools, then tap Reset Password.
- Tap “A different Apple ID”.
- Enter your Apple ID, tap Next.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.
Method 2: Ask Apple Support for help
If you’re unable to reset your Apple ID, you can contact Apple Support and they may be able to help. To do this, you’ll need to have proof of purchase or ownership of the iPad. Once you’ve provided these documents to Apple Support, they may be able to help you unlock the device.
It’s a fast and secure way to unlock the tablet.
You need to provide proof of purchase or ownership of the device.
Method 3: Request account recovery
In conclusion, it is best to attempt other methods first before resorting to account recovery to reset your Apple ID. It is recommended that account recovery be used as a last resort since the process can take several days.
Upon submitting your recovery request, you will get an email confirming your request as well as the date and time it was made.
Apple will provide a text message or automated phone call with step-by-step instructions to help you regain access to your account.
It’s a secure way to unlock the device.
It’s very slow and you need to prove ownership of the iPad.
Method 4: Use DirectUnlocks service
If you’re looking for an easy way to bypass Activation Lock on your iOS device, then DirectUnlocks is the perfect choice. We tested their service on a variety of iPad running iPadOS 15, and it worked every time.
Not only are they reliable, but their prices are also competitive and their customer service is top-notch. DirectUnlocks is the top Activation Lock bypass service we’ve ever tested.
Steps for requesting an Activation Lock Unlock from DirectUnlocks:
- Get the IMEI code for your iPadOS 15 iPad.
- Go to the AppleiPhoneUnlock website.
- Enter the IMEI or serial number in the box.
- Select the iPad model in the dropdown.
- Press the Unlock iCloud! button.
- Review the order details and price on the order summary page.
- Tick the box for agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Choose the payment method and pay securely.
- Receive a confirmation of your order in your email.
- The device will be unlocked.
Find out more about how to use DirectUnlocks.
Method 5: Use iBypasser tool
iBypasser is a powerful software that enables you to bypass the restrictions imposed by the Apple iCloud security system.
It allows you to unlock your locked iPadOS 15 iPad, and access your device data, even if you have forgotten your Apple ID and password.
The software is compatible with all models of iPhone and iPad, and works with all versions of iOS.
In short, the iBypasser tool is software designed for tech-savvy computer users who are willing to take on the challenge of trying to bypass the iCloud Activation Lock themselves.
Steps to bypass Activation Lock using iBypasser:
- Download and install the iBypasser tool on your computer.
- Open the iBypasser tool and connect your iPad to the computer using a USB cable.
- Once your iPad is connected, you will need to enter your device’s DFU Mode.
- To enter DFU mode on your device, press and hold the side button for three seconds.
- Keep holding the side button and press and hold the volume down button for 10 seconds.
- Then, release the side button but continue holding the volume down button for an additional five seconds before releasing.
- If the screen is illuminated but blank, your iPad will have successfully entered DFU mode.
- Once your device is in DFU mode, the iBypasser tool will detect it and prompt you to enter the device’s Recovery Mode. Find out how to enable iPad Recovery Mode.
- Once your device is in Recovery Mode, the iBypasser tool will prompt you to download and install the latest firmware version for your device.
- Once the firmware is installed, the tool will begin unlocking your device. This process can take up to 10 minutes.
- After the unlock process is complete, you will be able to access your device without any restrictions.
Find out more about unlocking the Apple ID on your iPad using iBypasser.
Method 6: Perform DNS Bypass
Another method for unlocking Activation Lock is to use a DNS bypass. To do this, you’ll need to change the DNS settings on your device and enter a specific DNS address.
Once you’ve changed the DNS settings, you’ll be able to access the device even if it’s still Activation Locked.
- Launch the Settings app on the iPad.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the blue “i” icon next to the network you’re connected to.
- Tap the DNS field, and enter the DNS server IP address:
- North America: 18.104.22.168
- Europe: 22.214.171.124
- Asia: 126.96.36.199
- Australia and New Zealand: 188.8.131.52
- South America: 184.108.40.206
- Africa: 220.127.116.11
- Tap the back arrow in the top left corner to save your changes.
- Restart your iPad and the DNS bypass should be enabled.
It is quick and free.
It’s a little fiddly and doesn’t work on all devices running iPadOS 15.
About iPadOS 15
On September 16th, 2020 Apple released iPadOS 15 for Apple’s iPads. It was available for all iPad models running iPadOS 14.
iPadOS 15 brought several new features and improvements over the previous version. Some of the new features included an improved App Library to make it easier to find and organize apps, a new widget experience with more flexibility and customization, improved multitasking capabilities, a new Compact Keyboard designed for one-handed use, and several improvements to iPad’s native apps.
The update also brought a new Translate app that can translate text, images, and audio between 11 languages, an improved Safari experience that includes a new tab bar, an enhanced Notes app with collaboration features, and an improved Home app for controlling HomeKit accessories.
Additionally, iPadOS 15 introduced new privacy and security features such as Approximate Location and App Attest API to give users more control over their data.
Remove iCloud Lock on other OS versions
- iOS 15 Activation Lock bypass instructions
- iOS 16 Activation Lock bypass guide
- iPadOS 16 Activation Lock bypass instructions
Removing Activation Lock from iPad Models
If you want to bypass iCloud on a particular iPad model see:
- iPad Activation Lock bypass guide
- iPad Pro Activation Lock bypass guide
- iPad Mini Activation Lock bypass guide
- iPad Air Activation Lock bypass guide
If you want to turn off the lock and know the Apple ID, then see Turn off the Activation Lock.
If you own an iPadOS 15 tablet, there are multiple methods available to unlock the device from Activation Lock.
The most straightforward way is to reset the Apple ID associated with the iPad.
If this is not possible, then you have the option of asking for assistance from Apple Support or a third–party company like iPhoneIMEIUnlock.
Before choosing a method, it is important to consider the pros and cons of each option and decide which one is appropriate for your needs.