There are a few methods you can use to quickly power off your iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, or iPhone 14 Pro Max.
The first method is to use the buttons on your phone. This method involves pressing and holding down the Volume Up or Down button (it doesn’t matter which) and the Side or top button at the same time. When you see the Slide to Power Off slider, drag it to the right to turn off your iPhone.
You can also use Apple’s voice assistant Siri to switch off your iPhone 14.
If this doesn’t work, you can try using the Settings app to power down your iPhone.
Whether you prefer to use hardware buttons or software options, we’ve got you covered.
Keep reading to learn more about how to turn off your iPhone 14…
This guide is designed for the following iPhone models:
To find out about rebooting iPhone’s with different iOS versions installed, see:
If you would like more general advice on switching off your phone, see How to turn off iPhone.
For an overview on restarting any model of iPhone, see How to turn iPhone off or on.
Table of Contents
Switching off iPhone 14 and 14 Plus
Powering off iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max
Turn off iPhone 14 using buttons
These instructions assume you have disabled the Always-On display that Apple introduced with the iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
To turn off your iPhone 14 using the physical buttons, do the following:
- Find the location of the power button (located on the top or side of your device) and the volume control buttons on your iPhone 14.
- Press and hold the power button and either the volume up, or down button (it doesn’t matter which) simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons until the Power Off slider appear on the screen.
- Drag the Power Off slider to the right.
- Your iPhone 14 is now turned off and no longer active.
If you want to turn your iPhone back on, press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen. This indicates that your iPhone is restarting and will soon be ready for use again.
Switch off iPhone 14 using Settings app
If you prefer to turn off your iPhone 14 using the Settings app, follow these steps:
- Tap the Settings app on your iPhone 14. You can find it on your home screen or in your app library.
- Scroll down and tap on General in the list of settings.
- Scroll down down to the bottom of the General settings page and tap Shut Down
- The Power Off slider will appear on the screen.
- Slide it towards the right to turn off your iPhone 14.
This method is convenient if you prefer to avoid using the physical buttons or if they are not functioning properly.
Power off iPhone 14 using Siri
Siri, your ever-helpful virtual assistant, makes it convenient to control your iPhone 14 with just your voice.
To turn off iPhone 14 using Siri, do the following:
- Ensure that your iPhone 14 is awake and ready to receive your voice command. You can wake up your device by tapping the screen or pressing any button.
- Activate Siri by either pressing and holding the side button or saying “Hey Siri” if you have enabled the voice activation feature.
- Once Siri is active and listening, say, Power off my iPhone.
- Siri will process your command.
- On your iPhone 14 screen, a power-off confirmation screen will appear, displaying the Power Off slider.
- Push the slider right to turn off your iPhone.
- Wait for a few moments as your iPhone 14 gracefully powers off. You will see the screen darken, indicating that the device is shutting down.
- Your device is now powered-off.
Remember that when your iPhone is powered off, it won’t receive calls, messages, or have internet connectivity. This can be helpful in conserving battery life or troubleshooting certain issues.
How to force restart iPhone 14
If your iPhone is frozen or unresponsive, you may need to force restart your device.
To do this, do the following:
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
How to turn off other iPhone models
If you would like to know how to switch off another model in the iPhone range, follow the links below:
- Turn off iPhone 15
- Turn off iPhone 13
- Turn off iPhone 12
- Turn off iPhone 11
- Turn off iPhone XS
- Turn off iPhone XR
- Turn off iPhone SE
- Turn off iPhone X
- Turn off iPhone 8
- Turn off iPhone 7
- Turn off iPhone 6S
- Turn off iPhone 6
- Turn off iPhone 5
You can also find out how to turn off iPad using our guides.
Why is iPhone 14 always-on?
The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max include the Always-On display feature. This cutting-edge technology not only dims the Lock Screen but also provides valuable information such as the time, widgets, and wallpaper.
Thanks to revolutionary advancements in power efficiency, the display remains highly efficient, ensuring minimal battery usage when this feature is used.
However this feature has an impact on how you power off your iPhone 14.
How do I turn off the Always-On display?
If you want to turn off the Always-On display, do the following:
- On your iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max go to Settings.
- Tap Display & Brightness.
- Then tap Always On Display.
- Tap the toggle switch to turn the Always-On display off.
Once done, you can switch off your phone in the standard way.
Why does my iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max not turn off?
The Always-On display is on by default on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max so the display will not go completely black like other iPhone models.
Does the iPhone 14 turn off automatically?
The iPhone 14 does not switch off automatically. Unlike traditional screens, the display never turns off or goes completely black, even when the lock/power button is pressed. Instead, the Always-On display feature gracefully transitions into a dimmed state, ensuring vital information is visible on-screen at a glance all the time.
Why does my iPhone 14 not go to sleep?
If you have the Always-On display enabled on your iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max, the display will not dim giving the impression it is not asleep. However, this is not true and your device will be using very little power.
If you have another model of iPhone 14 that won’t go to sleep, you can force restart it.
Why should I power off my iPhone 14?
It’s a good idea to turn off your iPhone 14 every now and then, for several reasons:
- Fixing problems
Sometimes, the iPhone may have little problems with its software. Turning it off and on again can help solve those problems and make your phone work better.
- Saving battery
When your iPhone is turned off, it’s not using any power. This means the battery can last longer. It’s like giving your phone a rest so it can have more energy later.
- Updates and improvements
Turning off your iPhone helps it update and get better. Updates bring new features, fix bugs, and make your phone safer. When you turn it back on, it can install these updates smoothly.
- Following rules
In certain places like airplanes or places where wireless signals can interfere with important equipment, it’s important to turn off your phone to follow the rules and make sure everyone stays safe.