This reliable and simple guide will explain how to bypass Activation Lock, also known as iCloud lock, on iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max models.
The iPhone XS range of phones was released by Apple in 2018 with a feature called iCloud Activation Lock, which is part of the phone’s security system named Find My.
The topics covered include how to bypass:
- A used phone.
- Your own phone.
- A second-hand device.
- Using free methods.
- Using tools.
The techniques discussed in this article will also allow you to get past the iCloud Activation Lock on someone else phone.
Read on and within a few minutes, you will know the exact steps to get your iPhone XS unlocked – even if you don’t know the Apple ID password.
Table of Contents
iPhone XS iCloud bypass methods
The iCloud bypass methods described work on the following iPhone models:
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
Although very similar to the iPhone X it replaced, there are some differences that make the iPhone XS models unique including a 30% improvement in Face ID speed, and an all-new A12 Bionic chip. This is why we produced this dedicated guide for iCloud unlocking this model of phone.
An Activation Lock bypass is used to remove an iPhone XS from the matching Apple iCloud account.
There are many ways to bypass iCloud lock on an iPhone XS, which are easy to do as long as you follow the simple instructions in this article.
The iPhone XS is a great device, but it can be frustrating when you are locked out of your phone. If you have forgotten your password or are unable to remember the answer to your security question, then you will need to bypass the Activation Lock screen.
There are many ways that you can bypass the Activation Lock on iPhone. The easiest way is by using a reputable unlocking service where the unlock is done for you. Another option is by using a computer and a third-party unlocking tool. These methods allow you to bypass the iCloud Lock screen, wipe your device, reset the password, and set it up as your own.
On a pre-owned device
If you bought or inherited a used iPhone XS, then you need to talk to the original owner and ask them to remove the iCloud Activation Lock.
This can be done in person, or remotely.
If they have forgotten to do this before selling the iPhone XS to you this request shouldn’t cause a problem. Unless they have sold you stolen goods, and don’t know the Apple account credentials.
Assuming it is not stolen goods, you don’t need to worry about returning the locked device for them to unlock it. They can remotely remove the Apple ID without having the phone in their possession by doing the following:
- Go to the following website: appleid.apple.com.
- Sign in using the correct Apple ID and password.
- Click Devices.
- Choose the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max model.
- Next, click Remove from account.
On your own device
If the iCloud Activation Lock prevents you from setting up or using your iPhone XS, the official Apple solution is to unlock it by providing your Apple ID and password.
If you can’t remember your Apple ID or password, you can use the iForgot website to reset them. Simply follow the on-screen instructions and you will be able to reset your password and access your account.
If you forgot your Apple ID, you can find it in these ways:
- On a different Apple device you own, go to iCloud or Media and purchases to see your Apple ID.
- If you own an Apple Mac look at System preferences. You will see your iCloud account details.
- On Apple TV, you will find your Apple ID under Settings.
- On the iForgot website, click If you have forgotten your Apple ID, you can look it up. Supply your name and email address and your Apple ID will be shown.
To find out more about account recovery, see the Apple ID and Apple password reset instructions.
Bypassing the lock yourself
If you can’t get in touch with the previous owner, or they are unable to unlock the iPhone XS you can bypass the Activation Lock yourself using an activation lock bypass tool or service.
However, you need to use a reputable company and avoid scammers.
There are many companies online that claim to be able to help you bypass Activation Lock. Yet, my testing has shown the iCloud unlocking advice they give is wrong. They are trying to rip you off so be careful.
Types of scams to watch out for
- Software downloads and hacks that damage your computer.
- Online tools that claim to ‘interface‘ with Apple servers that ask you to fill in quizzes or click ads.
- PDF downloads with instructions that don’t work.
For more information, see how to get rid of iPhone iCloud lock.
Price to unlock iCloud on iPhone XS
If you look online you will see iPhone XS iCloud unlock prices range from $40 USD to $100 USD. However, you need to be careful as some suppliers will break their fees down into 2 parts:
- A deposit
- A final fee
Suppliers keep the deposit low giving the impression that their costs are competitive but they are simply hiding the true cost. You will be asked to pay a much larger final fee which will bring the overall cost up.
When we reviewed Activation Lock bypassers, we took this odd payment structure into account to make it easier to compare services.
We also noticed that prices fluctuate up and down by as much as $10 USD, so the price we paid for the services may not be the current fee charged.
Pros and cons of paying for an unlock:
- You can use your iOS device normally.
- All functions and features work properly.
- The fix is permanent – you only ever need to do it once.
- Works on all Apple mobile devices that run iOS such as iPhone & iPad.
- No special technical skills are required.
- Scammers that look believable.
- You have to pay.
- It can be slow.
Free iCloud unlock
Bypassing the Activation Lock on iPhone XS for free is possible by providing the Apple ID and password when prompted on the device.
If you don’t know the Apple credentials of the original owner, then the best free method is to use a DNS bypass:
- Turn on your iPhone XS.
- Go through the setup process until you see the Choose WiFi Network screen.
- Click the i beside your WiFi network.
- Tap Configure DNS > Manual > Add Server and type in the IP address that is nearest to you:
- For USA: 220.127.116.11
- For South America: 18.104.22.168
- For Europe: 22.214.171.124
- For Asia: 126.96.36.199
- For Australia and Oceania: 188.8.131.52
- For other continents: 184.108.40.206
- At the top left of the screen, tap Back.
- Click your Wi-Fi network.
- Type in your Wi-Fi password and click Join.
- The iPhone XS will try to activate and go to a new screen. Don’t let it. Hit the Back button to the WiFi page where you will be logged in.
- Once logged in you will see the iCloud bypass screen that will say iCloudDNSBypass.net at the top.
For more information, see how to unlock an iCloud locked iPhone for free.
There are also a number of tools, services, and websites that claim to be able to remove Activation Lock for free. To find out about them, see Tools that unlock Activation lock for free.
In a recent review, I tested a range of tools to find the best online iCloud bypass service that can remove the Activation Lock. I concluded the best service was provided by DirectUnlocks.
To find out more, see the DirectUnlock review.
At the time of writing, the unlock fee was £29.00 GBP, which is around $35 USD.
For more in depth step-by-step instructions on ordering the unlock service correctly, see our full usage guide. Alternatively, here is a brief guide:
- On the DirectUnlocks website, enter your IMEI number.
- In the device model drop-down select your model, then click Unlock iCloud!
- To proceed, agree to the terms and conditions.
- Select your preferred payment method, then pay the fee.
- After 24-hours or so you will get an email confirming the unlock has been completed
To find out more about using iCloud unlocking services, see our step-by-step instructions to remove the Apple ID.
Hacking using a tool
There are also many software tools that can be used to hack the Activation Lock. They vary in quality from excellent to awful. If you pick the wrong one you can damage your device permanently and infect your computer with viruses or trojan horses.
Luckily, there are some good tools available with the best being iBypasser.
iBypasser can hack the lock on iPhone XS by connecting it to your computer and running an unlock process.
In my tests, some of the things that made iBypasser the best tool included:
- Free trial.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Easy to install and use.
- Responsive and knowledgeable support.
- Regular software updates.
- Positive customer feedback.
To find out more, see tool to hack iCloud Activation Lock.
What is iCloud Activation Lock?
Activation Lock is a security feature used in many Apple products, including the iPhone. When you activate your iPhone it is added to your Apple account preventing any other Apple ID from activating or using the same device.
This means your iPhone cannot be wiped, reset, and reactivated without permission from your Apple ID.
Activation Lock is part of Find My, the security app for all Apple devices.
Find My iPhone is a free service that helps you locate your lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. It uses GPS and Wi-Fi to show the location of your device on a map.
You can also remotely lock your device so someone can’t use it, play a sound, show an alert on the screen, and erase all the data on it.
The demand to bypass iCloud Activation Lock on iPhone XS devices is huge. This has resulted in many scammers appearing, ready to take your money without being able to unlock the iCloud lock. Be careful.
The safest option is to use Apple’s official method to get around iCloud Activation Lock on your iOS device.
If the official method is unsuitable, please stick to the recommended methods found in this guide.