In this article, I explain 5 different ways to quickly and easily bypass iCloud activation lock. Best of all 3 of these techniques are completely FREE.
These solutions have helped me, and over 129,659 of my readers, to successfully figure out how to do an iCloud bypass.
What is the iCloud Activation Lock?
The iCloud activation lock is a security feature of iOS and iPadOS, Apple’s operating system for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Apple Watch.
The activation lock’s purpose is to protect your iPhone and its data if it is stolen or lost.
For example, it protects the iPhone and prevents it from being set up until the owner’s details, including the Apple ID password, are typed into the device. Without these security details, the device can’t be used by anyone but the original owner.
What is Find My iPhone?
The iCloud activation lock is tied to another Apple security system called Find My iPhone which helps locate a missing device. Both Find My iPhone and the Activation Lock are automatically enabled when a device is first set up.
When both of these tools are enabled it creates a security system that is very hard to penetrate.
This is brilliant for those people that lose their iPhone or iPad and want to keep the contents secure.
It deters theft but can prevent legitimate buyers from selling their devices. This has left many buyers frustrated with some even discarding the devices they bought because they don’t know how to set them up when they see the activation lock has been enabled.
Find My can be disabled by the seller but because it is a default setting it is normally enabled on most iPhones and iPads.
Can the Activation Lock be removed?
Yes, I have discovered 5 ways to remove iCloud activation lock screen from your iPhone or iPad.
Better than that, I didn’t just find out how to bypass activation lock, but I also found out how to remove it permanently, which is brilliant news.
In total, I found 3 free options, and 2 paid unlocking methods which will give you a wide variety of things for you to try out on your own device.
Here are the conclusions of my research:
- You can bypass iCloud Activation.
- Before you agree to buy a used device you should:
- always check the device isn’t activation locked
- check the device you’re about to buy hasn’t been logged as stolen on IMEI.info
- If you already bought the device it is pointless doing the checks I mentioned in point 2 (above) but you can still bypass the lock:
- If you want the quickest, easiest, and the most permanent solution you have to pay to have your device bypassed
- You can unlock iCloud for free but only with the cooperation of the original owner or seller
- You can also potentially have your iPadOS or iOS device unlocked by Apple if you have the original receipt
- Bypassing the iCloud lock using DNS can get you some functionality back
- There are lots of scammers offering iCloud bypass systems so be careful when picking one
Recommended iCloud activation lock removal solutions
After many hours I found 5 solutions (3 of which are FREE) which are summarised below:
- Pay to bypass iCloud activation lock (reliable, fast, and easy – but costs money)
- Try using a free trial version of iBypasser to remove the activation lock (works for some – free trial but costs money to finalize unlock)
- Ask the original owner to remove iCloud activation lock (free but requires co-operation from the previous owner)
- Have Apple remove the iCloud activation lock (free but you need the original purchase receipt)
- Bypass activation lock using DNS (free but only offers limited iPadOS or iOS device usage)
1. Pay to have the activation lock bypassed
There are many websites that claim to help you bypass iCloud activation lock. Unfortunately, most of them are scams, that offer things like:
- PDF downloads that claim to give the answer – after you buy them you find out they don’t
- Online tools that do real-time unlocking in your web browser. These are simply an excuse to get you to click pop-up ads
- Software downloads that bring viruses with them that infect your computer. Plus they don’t work
So be careful when it comes to trying these types of tools on your iPadOS or iOS device.
I would recommend the IMEIdoctor service – based on their track record, customer feedback, and responsiveness.
They scored top in my latest review of suppliers conducted this year. Unlike most of the others that try to lure unsuspecting visitors with lies they actually do a good job.
An iCloud bypass service is the easiest way to get your iPhone or iPad working properly because it is completely hands-off. You simply provide the details of your device and IMEIdoctor does the rest.
How to bypass activation lock with IMEIdoctor
IMEIdoctor normally takes 5 days to complete an unlock, but you can pay an extra fee of around $10 USD for a 24-hour turnaround.
They charge from $40 USD or £35.99 GBP but the actual price varies with the model you want to be unlocked.
The process is really easy and requires no technical skills. You provide them with the device details and a few days later it is unlocked. This makes it the best method if you aren’t technical, or just want it done without your involvement.
It is also the best choice if you can’t contact the original owner of the device, or Apple refuses to help.
1. Go to IMEIdoctor and pick the model of iPhone or iPad from the drop-down menu and enter the IMEI or serial number in the box on the screen.
To find out your IMEI number:
- Method 1: For most Devices (except the iPhone 5 and 6) the IMEI number is printed on the SIM tray. Pop it out using a paperclip or the SIM removal tool.
- Method 2: If you have an iPhone 5 or 6 your IMEI number is printed on the back of the device. flip it over and you’ll see it near the bottom.
- Method 3: If your iPhone is not activated, there will be a little “i” button on the screen, tap it and you’ll see the IMEI
2. Click the “Remove Activation Lock” button.
3. You will be sent to the secure checkout. Double-check all the details you entered are correct before paying.
4. Click the ‘Credit/Debit Payment’ button and provide your payment details and you’re done!
5. If they believe they can unlock your iPhone you will get confirmation of your order and a request for payment of the completion fee.
6. Sit back and wait for the unlock to be processed.
7. Once complete, set up your device with your own iCloud account and use it normally.
2: Try a free trial version of iBypasser to remove the lock
iBypasser is a software tool that claims to unlock an aniPadOS or iOS device, but it only works in some very specific circumstances that are described on their website.
OK, it is not strictly free as you have to buy a license to ‘finalize’ an unlock but bear with me – it is still worth trying.
Well, it offers a free trial version that you can try out before you commit to buying.
Once downloaded and installed you can go through the iCloud unlock process iBypasser provides to see if it will work on your device. Doing this using the free version means you can see if it will work without spending any money.
If it looks promising then you know you have a low-cost backup plan to get your device working if none of the other methods in this article work for you.
The only downside is that you need to have a computer to download and use this software.
As I said, the trial version doesn’t finalize the unlock but it does allow you to connect up your iPadOS or iOS device and try out the product. So it is free to test it out.
If it looks like the unlock may work you can go ahead and buy a copy safe in the knowledge it will work.
iBypasser also has a brilliant 30-day money-back guarantee. So if you are unhappy for whatever reason after your purchase it is straightforward to request a refund.
Why should you get a free trial?
- The trial version is free so you can check if it will work without having to pay anything.
- This is the cheapest ‘paid’ unlock method. So if it looks like this option will work buying a license for iBypasser will be cheaper than trying other paid methods.
Are there any drawbacks?
Yes, the software will attempt to jailbreak your Apple iPhone or iPad.
Jailbreaking means making unauthorized changes in a device’s operating system or bios without Apple’s permission.
It is worth pointing out that Apple does not support a device that had been jailbroken as it violated their terms and conditions and they claim it can cause all sorts of damage.
In reality, it doesn’t cause damage but it is worth mentioning.
Many owners of Apple devices choose to jailbreak them so they have more control over the software they can install on them. This is because Apple only allows owners to download and install apps from the official Apple Store preventing anything else from being installed. This restriction frustrates many and led to the large underground community of owners that chose to install any app they want.
How to download and use iBypasser
1. Download the free iBypasser trial from their website.
2. Once the software is installed connect your iPadOS or iOS device using your USB cable.
3. If your iPhone or iPad is compatible the software will jailbreak it.
4. If your iPhone or iPad is compatible the Apple ID password will be removed (but only on the paid version).
5. Once completed, you will be able to setup the device.
If iBypasser doesn’t work on your iPadOS or iOS device you need to try the next method…
3: Ask the seller to remove the activation lock
If you have purchased a used iPhone or iPad which has a locked iCloud account you should ask the seller to remove it.
The removal can be done remotely so they don’t need access to the device to do it. Instead, they can log in to their iCloud account and remove the device without having it in their possession. This is the ideal solution if you bought the iPhone or iPad from someone on the other side of the country.
This will disable both the Find My iPhone and the activation lock security systems.
The seller needs to follow this procedure:
1. Go to https://www.icloud.com/
2. Type in your Apple ID (email address) and account password
3. Click ‘Settings’.
4. Click the iPhone or iPad you want to remove from your iCloud account found under ‘My Devices’.
5. Click the small X opposite the iPhone or iPad name to remove it.
6. You will be asked to confirm the removal. Click Remove.
7. All done!
If you are struggling, or need a more in-depth tutorial on this I suggest you read my article on 10 Things You Must Do Before Selling Or Trading In Your iPhone or iPad.
Once you remove iCloud activation lock you will be able to setup your iPhone or iPad normally. You will never be asked for the Apple ID of the seller again.
What if the previous owner has forgotten their Apple ID?
The original owner can reset the password if they have forgotten it – as long as they remember their Apple ID.
The Apple ID is the iCloud account that they use for everything they do with Apple, like when they shop in the iTunes Store, sign in to iCloud, buy an app, etc. To reset their password, they need to know the email address of their Apple ID.
2. Enter the Apple ID
3. Select the option to reset the password
4. Choose the reset method:
- By answering security questions
- To reset it via email
- To reset it using two-factor authentication
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Apple ID reset
4: Ask Apple to remove iCloud activation lock
Apple will bypass iCloud activation lock on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch in some circumstances. To do so, you need to prove:
- You are the owner of the device – by showing your proof of purchase.
- Ownership has been transferred to you.
Apple will then check if the device has been reported stolen. If the checks show it has, they will not help you.
If your handset is not reported missing or stolen then Apple may still refuse to help. For example, if they don’t believe you can adequately prove you are the rightful owner by showing the proof of purchase.
Apple rates security and privacy very highly so unless they are 100% sure the device is yours they will not unlock it.
5: Bypass activation lock using DNS
You can bypass iCloud and regain some functionality of your iPhone or iPad by using this DNS method.
This technique works by using your WiFi to get around the Apple security system. So you won’t need a SIM card in your iPhone or iPad to get this to work.
You won’t be using the operating system (iOS) on your iPhone or iPad. Instead, you use a server to provide all the smart features such as Facebook and Instagram, as shown in the video below.
This is a good option to have up your sleeve as it allows you to make use of your Apple device even if you can’t get the activation lock removed in any other way.
However, many people don’t like it as you only get limited access to the features and tools of your iPhone.
If you want full access and you have tried all the other options in this article you will, unfortunately, have no other choice but to pay to bypass iCloud activation lock.
You set this up as follows:
- Turn on your device
- Go through the setup process until you get to the ‘Choose WiFi Network’ screen
- Click the small ‘i’ next to your WiFi local name
- Tap “Configure DNS”. Tap “Manual”.
- Tap “+Add Server” and a blank will come up.
- Step 7: Enter the server address of your location:
- – USA: 184.108.40.206
- – Europe: 220.127.116.11
- – Asia: 18.104.22.168
- – Africa, Australia, and other locations: 22.214.171.124
- Tap “Back >” at the top left of the screen.
- Click your Wi-Fi network
- Type in the Wi-Fi password and click “Join” at the top right
- The iPhone will try to activate by going to a new screen. Don’t let it, hit the Back button at the top right to return to the WiFi page where you will be logged in.
- Once logged in you will see a screen which will say something like “iCloudDNSBypass.net” at the top.
- You have managed to bypass iCloud activation lock!
Avoid Activation Lock When Buying a Used iPhone
There are some dodgy people out there who sell devices knowing that they have an activation lock on them. The best thing to do is check for this before you pay for it.
If you are able to get your hands on the iPhone or iPad before you pay for it do the following:
- Turn on the device
- If you are asked for the passcode, face ID, or fingerprint the device has not been reset back to factory defaults
Ask the seller to do the following before you pay them:
- Unlock the device
- Click Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
They will be asked for the Apple ID and password to do this
If they can’t unlock the iPhone or iPad then this is a big issue. If they are unable to erase everything because they don’t know the device’s password this should also make you concerned.
Do not pay for the product until it is properly erased and unlocked. If you do, then you may be stuck with a device that you have to pay to unlock yourself.
If you are buying at a distance ask them to make a video showing the above. This is fairly easy to do and shouldn’t raise an objection from a reputable seller.
The other thing you should do is check if the device is stolen. A stolen device is highly likely to have an activation lock on it.
You can find out if the device you bought is stolen using the Stolen Phone Checker. It is a free online tool that lets you check (U.S. consumers only).
It will request your IMEI which you can find like this:
- Option 1: If your iPhone is not activated, there will be a little “i” button on the screen, tap it and you’ll see the IMEI
- Option 2: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer, your IMEI is printed on the back of the device
Selling your old iPhone? Disable iCloud activation lock first
You can prevent the need for an activation lock bypass on your iPhone if you disable find my iPhone on your iOS device before you sell it.
You will need to sign in to your Apple ID to access your iCloud account and turn off the activation lock on iPhone or iPad you are selling. This will prevent the awkward iPad or iOS lock screen from appearing on the device’s screen.
Indeed, disabling the Apple iPhone or iPad Apple ID security will mean the buyer won’t need to worry about finding out how to bypass iCloud activation lock removal or any other iCloud account on their new device.
This makes the selling process much easier for both you, and the buyer.
Some links in this article are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you.
Please understand that I recommend these tools because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something.
Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
You should be able to bypass the activation lock on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Apple Watch using the different options mentioned above.
I would suggest you try to have the previous owner or Apple unlock your device first – as they are the cheapest and most reliable options.
It is also worth downloading and giving iBypasser a try. The free trial means you can see if it will work for you before you pay a penny. The paid version is cheaper than the cost of using AppleiPhoneUnlock so this is the best value paid method.
If these fail, I suggest you get in touch with AppleiPhoneUnlock and ask them to do it on your behalf. They are reliable and respond to questions quickly.
If you have any other suggestions, or questions feel free to leave a comment below.
People Also ask
How to bypass Apple ID activation lock
Bypassing the Apple ID activation lock is possible by either asking the seller to remove it, asking Apple to remove it, using a DNS bypass, paying an unlock service like IMEdoctor, or by using software such iBypasser.
The specific steps to achieve this are covered in the article above.
How to bypass iCloud activation lock on iPad
Although the iPad is a different device from the iPhone the security system used on both is the same. This means the instructions described above apply to all models of the Apple iPad too.
If you have an iPad simply follow the steps above.
How to bypass activation lock on iPhone
All iPhone devices use iOS – which is secured with Find My iPhone and the activation lock. These can be bypassed on iPhone devices by following the steps given above carefully. This will allow you to remove, or bypass iCloud activation lock on your iPhone.