The iPhone 12 models were released in 2020 with a feature called iCloud Activation Lock, which is part of the phone’s security system that Apple calls Find My.
This easy-to-follow guide will explain how to bypass Activation Lock, also known as iCloud lock, on iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max models.
The topics covered include bypassing:
- A second-hand phone.
- Your own phone.
- Free methods.
- Online services.
- Using tools and hacks.
The techniques in this guide also allow you to get past the iCloud lock on someone else phone.
Read on to quickly find the exact steps to get your iPhone 12 unlocked – even if you don’t know the Apple ID password it’s locked with.
Table of Contents
iPhone 12 Activation Lock bypass methods
An iCloud bypass is used to unlock an iPhone 12 from the matching Apple ID.
There are many ways to bypass iCloud lock on an iPhone 12, which is easy to do as long as you follow the simple instructions in this article.
The methods described work on the following iPhone models:
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
How to bypass the iCloud Lock screen if you’re locked out
The iPhone 12 is a great device, but it can be annoying if you are locked out of your device.
If you have forgotten your Apple ID password or are unable to remember the answer to your security question, then you will need to bypass the Activation Lock screen.
These methods allow you to bypass the iCloud Lock screen, erase your phone, reset the password, and set it up.
On a pre-owned device
If you bought or inherited a second-hand iPhone 12, then you need to talk to the previous owner and ask them to remove the iCloud Activation Lock.
This can be done in person, or remotely.
If they have forgotten to do this before selling the iPhone 12 to you this request shouldn’t cause a problem. It would only be an issue if they have sold you stolen goods, and don’t know the Apple account details to unlock it.
Assuming the phone is not stolen, you don’t need to worry about returning the locked device for them to unlock. The Activation Lock can be removed remotely without them having the iPhone 12 in their possession.
To do so, they simply do the following:
- Go to the following website address: appleid.apple.com.
- When prompted, Sign in.
- Once logged in, click Devices.
- Then click on the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max.
- Finally, click the Remove from account button.
On your own device
If the iCloud Activation Lock prevents you from using your iPhone 12, the official Apple solution is to unlock it using your Apple ID and password to turn off Find My.
If you can’t remember your Apple account details, you can use iForgot to reset them. Follow the on-screen instructions and you will be able to reset your account immediately.
In addition, if you forgot your Apple ID, you can find it by trying the following:
- On another Apple product you own, go to iCloud or Media and purchases and you will see your Apple ID.
- If you own an Apple Mac look at System preferences. > Apple ID.
- On Apple TV, go to Settings > Apple ID
- On the iForgot Apple ID recovery page, click If you have forgotten your Apple ID, you can look it up. Provide your name and email address and your Apple ID will be displayed.
To find out more, see How to reset your Apple ID or password.
If you can’t get in touch with the previous owner, or they are unable to unlock the iPhone 12 you can bypass the Activation Lock yourself using an activation lock bypass tool or service.
However, you need to be careful and use a reputable company to avoid being scammed.
You see, there are many companies online that claim to be able to help you bypass Activation Lock. Yet, my testing has shown that most iCloud unlocking hacks don’t work.
Scams to be wary of:
- Downloadable software tools.
- Hackers and hacks.
- Online tools that claim to ‘interface‘ with Apple.
- PDF downloads with unlocking instructions.
To find out more details, see unlocking iOS device iCloud lock.
If you look online you will see iPhone 12 iCloud unlock prices go from $20 USD to $50 USD.
However, you need to be careful as many suppliers only show the deposit. A second fee, which is often far higher, is required before the unlock is completed. Keeping the deposit low makes the service look cheaper.
When you add the final fee to the price, the cost is actually far higher than you expect.
When we reviewed the best iCloud Lock bypassers, we took this into account so that the overall fee was provided for you to compare. We also noticed that prices fluctuate by as much as $20 USD, so the prices we paid for the service may not be the current fee charged.
Pros and cons
- Once completed, you can use your iPhone normally.
- All functions and features work.
- The fix is permanent – you only ever need to do it once.
- It’s easy – no special technical skills are required.
- There are loads of scammers to avoid.
- It is not free, so you are charged an unlocking fee.
- It can take anything from 24 hours to a few days to complete.
Free iCloud bypass
Bypassing the Activation Lock on iPhone 12 for free is possible if you know the Apple ID and password to allow you to turn of Find My.
If you don’t know the Apple credentials of the previous owner, then the best free method is to use a DNS bypass:
- Power up your iPhone 12.
- Go through the iPhone setup process until you see the Choose WiFi Network screen.
- Click the small i next to your WiFi network.
- Tap Configure DNS.
- Then, tap Manual.
- Next, tap Add Server and type in the IP address that is nearest to you from the list below:
- USA: 188.8.131.52
- South America: 184.108.40.206
- Europe: 220.127.116.11
- Asia: 18.104.22.168
- Australia and Oceania: 22.214.171.124
- Other continents: 126.96.36.199
- At the top of the screen, tap Back.
- Tap your Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and click Join.
- The iPhone 12 will try to activate and go to a new screen. Don’t let it, hit the Back button repeatedly to return to the WiFi page.
- You will be logged in to the DNS server and you will see the iCloud bypass screen showing iCloudDNSBypass.net.
There are also a number of tools, services, and websites that claim to be able to remove Activation Lock for free. To find out about them, see Tools that unlock iCloud Activation lock for free.
In a recent review, I tested a range of tools to find the best online iCloud bypass service that can remove the Activation Lock. I concluded the best service was provided by DirectUnlocks.
To find out more, see the DirectUnlock review.
At the time of writing, the unlock fee was £29.00 GBP, which is around $35 USD.
For more in depth step-by-step instructions on ordering the unlock service correctly, see our full usage guide. Alternatively, here is a brief guide:
- On the DirectUnlocks website, provide your iPhone 12’s IMEI number.
- After your iPhone’s details have been checked and verified, you can click Unlock iCloud!
- To proceed, provide an email address and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Select your preferred payment method, then pay the fee.
- After 24-hours or so you will get an email confirming the unlock has been completed
There are also many tools that claim to hack the Activation Lock. They vary in quality from good to unbelievably dangerous.
If you pick a bad tool you can break your iPhone 12 completely and infect your computer with viruses.
In our tests, we found iBypasser the best tool to hack the lock on iPhone 12. It works by connecting your iPhone 12 to your computer and running an unlock process.
Some of the things that made iBypasser the best tool included:
- Free trial.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Easy to install and use.
- Excellent support.
- Regularly updates.
- Many positive customer reviews.
Disable Apple ID
The Apple ID is the core element of the security system protecting your iPhone from unauthorized use. When it is linked to your iCloud account using your Apple ID it is almost impossible to remove.
Now Activation Lock is used in many Apple products, including the iPhone 12.
When you activate your device when you set it up it is automatically added to your Apple account preventing any other Apple ID from activating or using the same product. This means your iPhone cannot be wiped, reset, and reactivated without your permission.
Your permission is granted by providing your Apple credentials on the device itself. Activation Lock is part of Find My, the security app for all Apple devices.
Find My iPhone is a free service that helps you find your lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. It uses GPS and Wi-Fi to show the location of your device on a map.
You can also remotely lock your device so someone can’t use it and erase all the data on it.
There is a great deal of demand to get past the iCloud lock on Apple products. As a result, many scammers have appeared ready claiming to have the answer. For the most part, they don’t. If you want to do things properly, only use the official methods to get rid of iCloud Activation Lock.
This means turning off Find My on the iPhone 12, or via your Apple account on the web.
If you can’t use the official Apple technique, then be careful and use one of the recommended suppliers in this guide.
If you click a link to go through to a provider, we may get paid. This only happens if you buy a service. This is what funds us, and keeps us free to use. For a more detailed explanation see our affiliate disclosure.