This easy-to-follow in-depth guide will explain how to unlock an iPhone 13 – even if you have forgotten or don’t know the passcode.
The iPhone 13 was released with a number of security features that prevent unauthorized access to the iOS device including the passcode and Face ID.
The iPhone 13 does not include Touch ID so you can’t unlock it using a fingerprint.
This guide will cover the following iPhone 13 passcode removal topics:
- Free passcode reset methods.
- How to keep all your data after a passcode reset.
- What to do if you don’t have a computer.
- Unlocking tools.
- Using recovery mode.
- The Apple passcode reset procedure.
- Using Face ID.
It is suitable for the following iPhone models:
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
Read on and in a few minutes, you will know the exact steps to get your iPhone 13 unlocked…
Let’s begin with a little background on the iPhone passcode.
When released in 2021, the highly regarded iPhone 13 was pre-installed with iOS 15. Like the iPhone 12 that proceeded it, security measures implemented included Face ID and the passcode.
When you set up your device for the first time you will be asked to create a 4 or 6-digit passcode. This is in addition to Face ID which allows you to unlock your phone by just glancing at it.
If Face ID fails, the passcode is used as a backup. This makes it vital that you remember your iPhone 13 passcode.
If you get the passcode wrong your device will be disabled for a period of time. If you continue to enter the wrong passcode 10 times in a row, your iPhone will be permanently locked. For more information, see how many attempts to unlock an iPhone before it’s disabled.
If your iPhone 13 is disabled permanently, or you can’t remember the passcode then Apple says you must reset and wipe everything on your phone to unlock it. This means all your data will be removed so you need a backup to recover the information.
However, there are some ways to avoid losing all your data even without a restore that works for some users. These are covered later in this guide.
Unlock iPhone 13 without a backup or restore
As mentioned earlier, if you follow the official instructions from Apple to reset a forgotten passcode then all your data will be deleted from your iPhone 13. The idea is that you recover the erased contents from a backup.
But what if you don’t have a backup?
There are a couple of solutions you can try – one free and one paid – that will remove the passcode and recover the missing data.
There is a free unlock method that worked with older iPhone models that may work on iPhone 13.
It has quite a low success rate, but if you want a free way to unlock your passcode and keep your data – even without a restore – then it may be worth trying.
This technique uses a software tool called IPSW to hack your iPhone 13.
As shown in the video below, it is downloaded onto a PC and used to unlock the passcode without erasing the data.
For a step-by-step guide on this method and further information, see how to unlock your iPhone 13 passcode for free without data loss.
If the free technique doesn’t work there is also a few paid software tool you can try. You will need a computer for these to work.
|#1 LockWiper||★★★★★||Removes locks such as passcode, Face ID, Apple ID, MDM lock, & screen time lock.|
|#2 D-Back iPhone Data Recovery||★★★★★||Recovers erased data from an iOS device, iTunes, or iCloud – including photos, messages, and more…|
|★★★★||Recovers 35 deleted file types from iOS devices, iTunes, or iCloud backups.|
Regardless of the specific tool used, the paid passcode unlocking process is as follows:
- Download and install both the data recovery and passcode removal tools.
- Test the data recovery program on your iPhone 13 to see if it will work. If so, move on to the next step. Do this before you wipe the phone.
- Use the passcode removal tool to unlock the iPhone 13 screen. The phone’s data will be wiped.
- Recover your data from the wiped phone using the data recovery tool.
For more information on unlocking iPhone 13 without a backup or restore, see Unlock an iPhone passcode without a restore.
How to unlock iPhone 13 without a computer (for free)
There are 3 free methods you can use to unlock the iPhone 13 passcode when you don’t have a computer:
- Ask for help from a friend, family member, or colleague. Borrow their smartphone, tablet, or computer to go online using a web browser and log in to your iCloud account and erase the passcode from there. For more information on accessing your iCloud account, see How to log in to iCloud.
- Another option is to download the Find My app onto another Apple device you own, such as an iPad. You can use the app to remotely erase your iPhone 13 and remove the passcode.
- A third option is to pop into your nearest Apple Store or Apple reseller and ask them to help you perform the passcode reset using one of their computers.
For more information, see How to unlock an iPhone passcode without a computer.
Unlock iPhone 13 using Find My and iCloud (for free)
It is a good idea to check when the last backup was done on your iPhone to make sure it contains all your data before erasing your device.
You can unlock the passcode using iCloud and create a new one using any internet-connected smartphone, tablet, or computer as follows:
- On any computer, tablet, or smartphone, open a web browser and go to iCloud.com.
- If you have Two Factor Authentication turned on, you will be prompted for your authentication code.
- Once signed in, click Find iPhone.
- All the Apple devices you own will be located.
- Once your devices have been located, they will appear on a map.
- At the top of the screen, select All Devices and select your iPhone 13 from the list.
- Next, click Erase iPhone to remove the passcode. This process will also remove all the data from your iOS device.
- On the dialog box that pops open, confirm you want to erase the device.
- The passcode and all the data will be removed from your iPhone.
- Once erased, set up your device and restore your iPhone data.
Unlock iPhone 13 using recovery mode (for free)
Gather all the hardware and software required to use recovery mode. You will need:
- A PC with Windows 8, or newer and iTunes installed, or a Mac.
- Your passcode locked iPhone 13
- A USB cable to connect the phone to the computer.
To use recovery mode do the following:
- Press and hold both the side button and the Volume down button on your iPhone 13 until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off your device, then wait a minute to make sure it turns off completely.
- Press and hold the iPhone 13 side button while immediately connecting it to the computer. Don’t let go of the button.
- Keep holding the button until you see the recovery mode screen on your iPhone, then let go. If you see the passcode screen, you need to turn off your iPhone and start again.
- Locate your iPhone in the Finder or in iTunes on the computer.
- When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. Your computer downloads software for your iPhone 13 and begins the restore process. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then turn off your iPhone and start again.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Once done, disconnect your iPhone from the computer, then set up your iPhone.
For more information, see How to put your iPhone into recovery mode.
Unlock iPhone 13 with Face ID (for free)
If you have Face ID configured on your iPhone 13, do the following:
- Tap the screen or raise your iPhone 13 to wake it, then look at your iPhone. The lock icon at the top of the lock screen animates from closed to open to indicate that your device is unlocked.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to use the phone.
To lock iPhone again:
- Press the side button.
If you don’t touch the screen for a minute or two, your iPhone 13 locks automatically.
If you don’t have Face ID enabled, find out how to Set up Face ID on iPhone.
If Face ID isn’t working on your iPhone 13
If you set up Face ID on your iPhone 13, but it no longer works do the following:
Check your Face ID settings
- On your iPhone, tap Settings.
- Then, tap Face ID & Passcode.
- Check Face ID is set up and turned on.
Check the TrueDepth camera can scan your features properly
Make sure nothing is covering the front-facing TrueDepth camera on your iPhone 13:
- Get rid of anything that may be covering the front camera such as dirt, a case, or a screen protector
- Ensure you are not covering the front-facing TrueDepth camera with your hand.
- Make sure your face is not covered. Your eyes, nose, and mouth must be fully visible to the front TrueDepth camera.
- Make sure your eyes aren’t blocked if you’re wearing a face mask. You may need to hold your iPhone higher than normal.
- If you’re wearing sunglasses designed to block certain types of infrared light your iPhone 13 won’t unlock. Try using Face ID without your sunglasses.
If none of these fixes work, check if there are any iOS updates for your iPhone.
How to reset Face ID
If you have tried the fixes above and they haven’t worked, you need to reset your Face ID on your phone.
Before you begin, make sure your face isn’t covered and you take off your sunglasses.
You can use Face ID with face masks on iPhone 13 as long as you have iOS 15.4 or later installed. Face ID works best when your iPhone is approximately 10-15 inches from your face.
To reset Face ID:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings.
- Scroll down, then tap Face ID & Passcode.
- If prompted, enter the screen lock code.
- Tap Reset Face ID. This will disable Face ID security on your device.
- Return to the Home screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Then, tap Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode. If you didn’t set a passcode, you’ll be asked to create one to use as an alternative way to verify your identity.
- Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Next, tap Get Started.
- Position your face inside the frame shown on the screen and move your head to complete a circle.
- When you’ve finished the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
- Repeat the scan a second time.
- Tap Done.
You can unlock iPhone 13 without Face ID by using the passcode you picked when you first set up your device.
Unlock iPhone 13 with Apple Watch
You can use a paired Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone 13 by doing the following:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings
- Tap Face ID & Passcode.
- Scroll down, then below Unlock with Apple Watch turn on Apple Watch.
To unlock your iPhone 13, your Apple Watch must have a passcode, be unlocked and on your wrist, and be close to your iPhone.
If you forget your iPhone 13 Screen Time passcode
Apple has created another type of passcode for iOS devices, called the Restrictions or Screen Time Passcode.
It was created to allow parents to block certain functions and features from working and to limit device usage.
The same Screen Time Passcode is also used on corporate devices.
But what if you’re the parent or administrator and you forget the passcode? Well, this passcode can also be reset as follows:
- On your device, tap Settings.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Choose Change Screen Time Passcode.
- In the pop-up window tap Change Screen Time Passcode again.
- Tap Forgot Passcode.
- You will be asked for your Apple ID and Password. If you don’t know them, see How to recover and change my Apple ID and password.
- Enter a new passcode, and verify it.
For other Screen Time reset techniques, see How to change Screen Time passcode.
Getting rid of the passcode on other iPhone models
If you want to remove the passcode on a different iPhone model see:
- How to unlock iPhone 12 without the passcode.
- Unlock forgotten iPhone 11 passcode.
- Unlock iPhone SE passcode if you forgot it.
- Passcode unlocking iPhone XR.
- Unlock iPhone XS And XS Max without passcode.
- How to open iPhone X without the passcode.
- How to unlock iPhone 8 without the passcode.
- How to unlock iPhone 7 without the passcode.
- How to unlock iPhone 6 without the passcode.
Other unlocking guides
Beyond the passcode lock, Apple also uses Activation Lock and the carrier lock to restrict and secure their products.
Find out more about these other iPhone unlocking methods: