As an experienced professional in Apple device security, I’ve closely examined the Activation Lock feature introduced with the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus in 2017.
My extensive testing and research has enabled me to compile this guide, offering multiple techniques for bypassing the iCloud Activation Lock on iPhone 8 and 8 Plus models.
My expertise in this field ensures that the solutions provided are both practical and reliable, helping you to bypass the iCloud lock:
- On your own iPhone.
- On a second-hand iPhone you bought or were given.
- Using free techniques.
- With paid solutions.
- Using software tools.
- With online services.
Read on to find out how to remove the Activation Lock on iPhone 8 models – even without the previous owners’ help, or without knowing the Apple ID password.
Table of Contents
Methods to bypass iCloud Lock on iPhone 8
An Activation Lock bypass can be used to remove an iPhone 8 smartphone from it’s linked iCloud account.
There are many ways to bypass iCloud lock on an iPhone 8, which are quite straightforward.
The iCloud bypass techniques in this article work on the following devices:
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
Although very similar to the iPhone 7 it replaced, there are some differences that make the iPhone 8 unique including the addition of inductive charging, fast charge capability, and the Apple A11 processor.
This is why we produced this dedicated guide for iCloud unlocking this range of phones.
The iPhone 8 was a great device at the time, but it is still frustrating when Find My locks out of your phone. If you have forgotten your Apple ID or password or are unable to remember the answer to your security question, then you will need to bypass the Activation Lock screen.
iCloud unlock a pre-owned device
If you bought or were given a pre-owned iPhone 8, then you should talk to the previous owner and ask them to remove the iCloud Activation Lock.
This can be done in person, or remotely via their iCloud account as shown in the YouTube video below.
If this sliped their mind before they sold their iPhone 8 to you this request shouldn’t cause a problem. However, if they got their hands on the device using illegal means, they probably don’t know the account credentials. This means they won’t be able to turn off Find My and bypass the iCloud lock.
Assuming it is not stolen goods, you don’t need to worry about returning the locked device for the last owner to unlock it. They can remove the iPhones account credentials remotely without the phone by doing the following:
- Click the following link to go to the official website.
- Sign in using the correct username and password.
- On the left menu, choose Devices.
- Ovet on the right, choose the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus to bypass.
- Finally, click Remove from account to turn off Find My and bypass Activation Lock.
Permanently unlock your own device
If the Activation Lock prevents you from setting up or using your iPhone 8, the official fix in 2023 is to remove iCloud permanently by entering the appropriate email address and password on the locked iPhone when prompted.
If you can’t remember your login credentials, you can use iForgot to reset your details. Click the link and follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password and access your account.
Once you’ve gained access to your account you can turn off Find My and the iCloud lock.
Or if you forgot your Apple ID, you can find it as follows:
- On another device you own, go to iCloud or Media and purchases and you will see your ID.
- If you own a Mac, look at System preferences > Apple ID. You will see your iCloud account details.
- On Apple TV, you will find your ID under the Settings.
- On the iForgot website, click the link that says If you have forgotten your Apple ID, you can look it up. Enter your name and email address and you will be shown your ID.
To find out more about account recovery, see our Password recovery and reset guide.
Removing the Apple lock yourself using iCloud bypass service
If you can’t get in touch with the previous owner, or they are unable to unlock the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus you can bypass the Activation Lock yourself using an activation lock bypass service.
However, you need to use a reputable company and avoid scammers.
There are many companies online that claim to be able to help you bypass Activation Lock. Yet, my testing has shown the iCloud unlocking advice they provide is incorrect.
Types of scams to watch out for
- Software downloads and hacks that damage your iPhone or computer.
- Online tools that claim to ‘interface‘ with Apple servers but just ask you to fill in quizzes or click ads.
- Paid PDF downloads with instructions that don’t work.
For more information, see how to unlock iCloud Lock on an Apple phone.
Price to unlock iCloud on iPhone 8
When you investigate iPhone 8 and 8 Plus iCloud unlock prices you will see they range from $10 USD to $50 USD. However, you need to be careful as some suppliers will break their fees down into 2 parts:
- A deposit
- A final fee
The fee advertised by most companies is just for the deposit. Suppliers keep the deposit low to give the impression that they are cheap. But they are simply hiding the true cost.
Our testing found that clients are asked to pay a much larger final fee, making the price far higher than they thought.
When we reviewed iCloud bypass suppliers, we took this odd payment structure into account to make it easier to compare services.
We also noticed that prices move up and down by as much as $10 USD, so the price we paid for the services may not be the current fee charged.
Pros and cons of paying for an iPhone 8 unlock:
- You can use your iPhone normally.
- All functions and features on your device work properly.
- It is permanent – you only need to do it once.
- It works for all Apple mobile devices that run iOS, not just iPhone 8 and 8 Plus models.
- It’s easy – no skills are required.
- It is easy to be scammed.
- It is not free.
- The odd payment structure.
- It can take a few days to finalize.
- Claiming a refund on failed unlocks can be a nightmare.
Bypass iCloud lock on iPhone 8 using DNS
Bypassing the Activation Lock on an iPhone 8 for free is possible by entering the correct security details when prompted on the device.
However, if you don’t know the account details of the previous owner, then another free method is a DNS bypass.
It works by doing this:
- On your iPhone 8, go through the setup process until you see Choose WiFi Network.
- Click the i beside your WiFi network.
- Tap Configure DNS > Manual > Add Server and type in the IP address that is nearest to you from this list:
- USA: 188.8.131.52
- South America: 184.108.40.206
- Europe: 220.127.116.11
- Asia: 18.104.22.168
- Australia and Oceania: 22.214.171.124
- other continents: 126.96.36.199
- Next, tap Back.
- Then, select your Wi-Fi network.
- Provide your Wi-Fi password, then click Join.
- Your iPhone will try to activate on a new screen. Don’t let it, hit the Back button to go back tothe WiFi page and you will be signed in to the DNS server.
- Once logged in you will see the iCloud bypass screen that says at the top iCloudDNSBypass.net.
For more information, see unlock the iCloud lock for free on your iPhone.
There are also a number of tools, services, and websites that claim to be able to remove Activation Lock for free. To find out about them, see Free tools to unlock iCloud.
Remove Apple ID lock on iPhone 8 online
In a recent review, I tested a range of tools to find the best online iCloud bypass service that can remove the Activation Lock. I concluded the best service was provided by DirectUnlocks.
To find out more, see the DirectUnlock review.
At the time of writing, the unlock fee was £29.00 GBP, which is around $35 USD.
For more in depth step-by-step instructions on ordering the unlock service correctly, see our full usage guide. Alternatively, here is a brief guide:
- On the DirectUnlocks website where you should enter the device IMEI.
- In the drop-down box below, select your Phone 8 model from the list.
- Next, click Unlock iCloud!
- Tick the box to agree to the terms and conditions, pick your payment method and pay for the iCloud account to be removed.
- An email confirmation will be sent to your email address.
- Once unlocked, another email will be sent.
To find out more about iCloud Activation Lock bypassing, see our in-depth guide.
Activation lock bypass using a tool
There are several tools that can be used to hack the Activation Lock. They vary in quality from excellent to dangerous. If you use the wrong tool you can damage your iPhone 8 or infect your computer with a virus.
However, there are some tools available that work well, with the best being iBypasser.
iBypasser hacks the lock via your computer by running an unlock process.
In my tests, some of the things that made iBypasser the best included:
- Free trial.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Simple to install
- Intuitive to use.
- Top-notch support.
- Regular updates.
- Positive reviews.
To find out more, see how to download and use the tool.
What is iCloud Activation Lock on iPhone 8?
Activation Lock is part of Find My, a security feature used in many Apple products, including the iPhone 8. When you activate your iPhone it is added to your account preventing another person from activating the same device.
Find My iPhone is a free service that helps you locate your lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. It uses GPS and Wi-Fi to show the location of your device on a map.
You can also remotely lock your device so someone can’t use it, play a sound, show an alert on the screen, and erase all the data on it.
This means your device cannot be wiped, reset, and reactivated without permission from you.
Wrap up: Bypass iCloud Activation Lock
Even though iPhone 8 is an aging design, there is still a demand to bypass iCloud Activation Lock on this device. This demand has resulted in many scammers appearing, ready to take your money without bypassing the iCloud lock.
The safest option is to use official method to get around iCloud Activation Lock on your iOS device.
If the official method is unsuitable, please stick to the recommended methods in this guide to avoid being ripped off.