Unable to Move Message: The message could not be moved to the mailbox.
This only happens if you are using IMAP servers for your email and isn’t an issue for POP mailboxes.
Are you a hotmail, live.com or outlook.com user?
This fix does not work for hotmail, live.com, or outlook.com because Microsoft does not use IMAP, it uses Exchange Active Link (EAS).
To fix this error you can either:
This IMAP fix will work if you use Microsoft Exchange services such as Office365.
How-to fix this error
1. Press the Home button on your iPad and choose Settings.
2. Scroll down and click “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” from the list.
3. Click your email account – it should have an arrow to the right of the email address displayed.
4. Scroll to the end on the settings and click Advanced.
Can’t see the Advanced button?
Some visitors have reported that they do not see the Advanced button. If this happens to you then you have to delete your IMAP email account and add it again manually. Follow these instructions to add your email account to your iPhone manually. This will then let you see the Advanced button.
5. Scroll down and tap the empty IMAP Path Prefix.
6. Enter INBOX in capitals, then click ‘Accounts’ at the top left and click ‘Done’ at the top right twice to close the settings.
Can’t see the IMAP path prefix?
Some visitors have reported that they do not see the IMAP prefix. If this happens to you then you have to delete your IMAP email account and add it again manually. Follow these instructions to add your email account to your iPhone manually. This will then let you see the Advanced button.
7. Press the Home button and then re-open Mail.
8. You will now be able to delete or move your emails on your iPad without the error message appearing!
Did you find this iPhone fix helpful?
If you found this IMAP fix helpful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the top of this page. I’d really appreciate it.
Also, if you are feeling extra generous after having your issue solved please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It encourages me to find further solutions to those awkward little iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and Mac problems that we all suffer from.
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to help you again soon!
Get my Apple iOS 9 guide FREE!
Click the link below to signup for our guide showing you how the latest version of Apple’s Operating System – iOS 9 – will work on your iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini or iPod Touch for free!
That’s right, a free user guide showing you the new features.