There are a few methods you can use to quickly power off your iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Let’s delve into these techniques and understand how each one works.
Whether you’re more comfortable with physical buttons, prefer the convenience of Siri, or like to navigate through the settings, we’ll walk you through step-by-step instructions for each method.
By the end, you’ll have a comprehensive understanding of how to power down your iPhone 12 using different approaches.
So, let’s get started and discover the ways to gracefully shut down your iPhone 12 when you need to…
This guide is designed for the following iPhone models:
To find out about rebooting iPhone’s with different iOS versions installed, see:
For an overview on restarting any model of iPhone, see How to turn iPhone off or on.
Table of Contents
Switching off iPhone 12 and 12 mini
Powering off iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max
Turn off iPhone 12 using buttons
To turn off your iPhone 12 using the physical buttons, do the following:
- Find the location of the power button (located on the top or side of your device) and the volume control buttons on your iPhone 12.
- Press and hold the power button and either the volume up, or down button (it doesn’t matter which) simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons until the Power Off slider appear on the screen.
- Drag the Power Off slider to the right.
- Your iPhone 12 is now turned off and no longer active.
Switch off iPhone 12 using Settings app
If you prefer to turn off your iPhone 12 using the Settings app, follow these steps:
- Tap the Settings app on your iPhone 12. You can find it on your home screen or in your app library.
- Scroll down and tap on General in the list of settings.
- Scroll down down to the bottom of the General settings page and tap Shut Down
- The Power Off slider will appear on the screen.
- Slide it towards the right to turn off your iPhone 12.
This method is convenient if you prefer to avoid using the physical buttons or if they are not functioning properly.
Power off iPhone 12 using Siri
Siri, your ever-helpful virtual assistant, makes it convenient to control your iPhone 12 with just your voice.
To turn off iPhone 12 using Siri, do the following:
- Ensure that your iPhone 12 is awake and ready to receive your voice command. You can wake up your device by tapping the screen or pressing any button.
- Activate Siri by either pressing and holding the side button or saying “Hey Siri” if you have enabled the voice activation feature.
- Once Siri is active and listening, say, Power off my iPhone.
- Siri will process your command.
- On your iPhone 12 screen, a power-off confirmation screen will appear, displaying the Power Off slider.
- Push the slider right to turn off your iPhone.
- Wait for a few moments as your iPhone 12 gracefully powers off. You will see the screen darken, indicating that the device is shutting down.
- Your device is now powered-off.
Remember that when your iPhone is powered off, it won’t receive calls, messages, or have internet connectivity.
How to restart iPhone 12
If you want to turn your iPhone 12 back on after powering it down using the previously listed techniques, simply press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen. You can then let go of the button as the device continues to boot up.
After 20-30 seconds the lock screen will appear and you will be able to unlock the device using your passcode. If you can’t remember your passcode, find out how to unlock iPhone 12 without passcode or Face ID.
It will take a little longer for Wi-Fi and bluetooth devices to connect to your phone, but the device will be usable while this occurs.
How to force restart iPhone 12
If your iPhone is frozen or unresponsive, you may need to force restart your device.
To do this, do the following:
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
How to turn off other iPhone models
If you would like to know how to switch off another model in the iPhone range, follow the links below:
- How to power off iPhone 15
- How to power off iPhone 14
- How to power off iPhone 13
- How to power off iPhone 11
- How to power off iPhone XS
- How to power off iPhone XR
- How to power off iPhone SE
- How to power off iPhone X
- How to power off iPhone 8
- How to power off iPhone 7
- How to power off iPhone 6S
- How to power off iPhone 6
- How to power off iPhone 5
You can also find out how to turn off iPad using our guides.
Why should I power off my iPhone 12?
Powering off your iPhone 12 periodically provides several benefits:
- Sometimes, your iPhone’s software may encounter minor problems. By turning it off and on again, you can often fix these issues and improve the overall performance of your device.
- When you power off your iPhone, it stops consuming power. This helps prolong the battery life, allowing your phone to have more energy available when you need it.
- Powering off your iPhone enables smoother installation of updates. These updates bring new features, fix bugs, and enhance the overall security of your device.
- In specific locations, such as airplanes or areas where wireless signals can interfere with critical equipment, it is important to power off your phone to comply with regulations and ensure the safety of others.
What should I do if I can’t turn off my iPhone 12?
If your device refuses to switch off, you need to force restart your iPhone 12.
Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Next, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo. This will force your iPhone to restart, which can help resolve any software issues that may be preventing it from turning off.
If force restarting doesn’t work, you can let the battery drain completely. Simply use your iPhone until the battery runs out, and it will shut down automatically. Once it’s completely turned off, you can recharge it and power it back on.
If you continue to experience difficulty turning off your iPhone 12, it may be helpful to contact Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance.