This website is designed to help you fix your broken iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch & Samsung Galaxy devices.
Popular articles include:
- iPhone unlock
- iCloud unlock
- How to unlock iPhone 6
- How to unlock iPhone If you forgot your passcode
- How to unlock iPhone 5
Apple iPhone troubleshooting is a process of elimination.
You have to go through a set of checks in a set order to try and resolve your issue.
These checks are as follows:
- Reset iPhone
- Recharge iPhone
- Update iPhone to the latest software
- Reset iPhone network settings
- Reset all iPhone settings
- Restore iPhone (DFU Mode Update)
These iPhone troubleshooting tips apply to all models including iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 and are covered in more detail below.
Please Note: Before you do any troubleshooting on your iPhone, do a backup to iCloud or iTunes to protect your data.
If your device is running slowly read our guide iPhone slow – how to fix it.
1. Restart iPhone (also known as a soft reset)
A soft reset restarts your iPhone but does not delete any of your data.
To restart your iPhone:
- Turn iPhone off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until a red slider appears on the screen. Slide your finger across the slider and your iPhone will power off.
- Turn your iPhone on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
If your iPhone not turning on after being switched off:
- Reset your iPhone by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button and the home button together until the Apple logo appears on the screen. This normally takes at least 10 seconds.
If your device still does not turn on or it displays a red battery icon, try the next troubleshooting tip.
2. Recharge iPhone
If an App needs more processing power than is available, it may make your iPhone look like it has frozen or hung. Charging your device will provide enough extra power for the phone to function normally again.
Charge it using the power adapter or connect it to a high-power USB port such as the one on your computer.
If your iPhone’s battery is really low on power, the display may remain black for a couple of minutes before anything appears on the screen.
If your iPhone displays a low battery image on the screen, it can take up to 20 minutes of charging before it will start up.
If your iPhone still won’t power on try reading our useful iPhone Battery Tips article.
3. Update iPhone to the latest software
Updating your iPhone to the latest software may fix your issue.
If your iPhone is still switched on try updating it wirelessly via wi-fi. To do this:
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update
- Follow the on-screen instructions
If you can’t update your iPhone wirelessly, try connecting it to your computer and using iTunes to update it – as described in this article.
4. Reset iPhone network settings
The reset restores all network related settings on your device to the factory default.
- All cellular settings will be removed and reset.
- All your Wi-Fi networks will be removed and default Wi-Fi settings restored.
- All your Bluetooth connections will also be removed.
To do this:
Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
5. Reset all iPhone settings
Only the system settings will be reset. You will not lose any files, documents, data, or apps.
To do this:
Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
6. Restore iPhone (DFU Mode Update)
If your iPhone still has problems you may want to try a DFU Mode Update.
Note: You need a computer with iTunes installed on it as well as your iPhone to use DFU mode.
- Firstly make a backup of your iPhone to iTunes as shown here.
- Make sure your iPhone stays connected to the computer and iTunes is still running after the backup is completed.
- Turn off your iPhone as follows:
- Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button for at least 3 seconds.
- Swipe the slide to power off message to the right.
- Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button for at least 3 seconds.
- Press and hold the Home button on the front of your device while still holding down the Sleep/Wake button.
- Keep holding for about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you’ve held them too long and will need to start again.)
- Let go of the sleep/Wake Button but keep holding the Home button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the “Plug into iTunes” screen, then you’ve held it too long and will need to start again.)
- If the screen stays black your iPhone should now be in DFU mode.
At this point, iTunes should show you an alert saying it has detected your iPad or iPod touch and will allow it to be restored.
iPhone troubleshooting – still have problems?
If you still need iPhone help then some of the articles below may be useful.
They take iPhone troubleshooting to the next level…
- Why Does My iPhone Battery Drain So Fast? iPhone Battery Life Tips - Your iPhone is a minor miracle, a pocket-sized computer that has 250 times more processing power than the original IBM PC. A real modern marvel. However, this awesome power requires a decent battery in order to keep it powered all day. I’m going to tell you exactly why your iPhone battery drains so quickly and exactly how to fix it. I’ll explain how you can get longer battery life from your iPhone without sacrificing any useful functionality. There are 2 things to consider when it comes to battery life in your iPhone: The software on your iPhone The battery itself You would READ MORE
- What Version iOS Do I Have on my iPhone? - It is easy to find out the version of iOS on your iPhone via the settings - as long as it is unlocked. You'll find out how later in this post. If your iPhone is locked then it is much harder because you can't access the settings to look. So does that mean you can't find the version? Not quite. There is a way to tell which I can show you. Is it iOS 6 and older, or iOS 7 and newer on your iPhone Luckily, if you want to find out the version because you want to unlock it READ MORE
- SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive Version 2 Review - What is the iXpand Flash Drive Version 2? The Sandisk iXpand flash drive is a thumbdrive that works with either a regular USB port on a computer, or a lighting port on an Apple mobile device. When connected to an iPhone or an iPad, you can use a free app, called iXpand Drive, to playback content stored on the drive -- a wide variety of video, audio and document files -- or back up the phone's photos and contacts. The Sandisk iXpand flash drive was upgraded to version 2 in 2016. The transfer speeds and design was improved in the READ MORE
- Possible Fix For iOS 9 Email Error “Message not yet downloaded from server” - A new iOS 9 email error has surfaced and is causing problems for many iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch owners. It appears to effect users who connect to their email using POP3, although some IMAP customers are also claiming they have issues.  The problem is that you may get an error that says "Message not yet downloaded from server" whenever you attempt to open an email message with an attachment. The problem appears to be causing issues with both new and old emails. Some people say even claim they get this issue regardless if the message had an attachment - it effects READ MORE
- New iOS Features – 6 Ways Apple Got It Wrong - Apple released iOS 7 to a great fanfare announcing that it is the biggest shake up in the iPhone operating system since it’s launch. Icons are flatter and the whole operating system is simpler and cleaner. However, I believe that there are some fundamental usability problems, inconsistencies and poor design decisions made with the redesign. I was hoping that most of the major issues would be fixed in iOS 8, 9, 10 or 11 but many of them still persist. What makes me say this? Well Apple has always put usability at the heart of everything they do. At least READ MORE
- iPhone Unlock Guide 2018 (Use any SIM / Carrier / Network) - How to perform an iPhone unlock for any carrier I am sure you will agree with me when I say: The iPhone SIM lock is designed to tie us into over-the-top call fees from a single network carrier. An excuse to rip us off. Again. What if I was to tell you that you can break free from your carrier and use any network you want. Sound good? Read on and this article will tell you how you can use any SIM card from any carrier on any network in your iPhone or iPad by performing an unlock. Brilliant! This READ MORE
- iPhone Liquid Damage - It's the worst feeling of the world. That splash when your iPhone slips out of your pocket into the toilet. Or bath. iPhone liquid damage is a nightmare - especially because Apple won't touch a phone that's been dropped in water (or any other liquid). Panic sets in because you have just destroyed your iPhone... ...or have you? There are some simple things you can do to fix your iPhone and get it working again. Read on to find out how you may be able to save your device. Act quickly to save your water damaged iPhone If you accidentally READ MORE
- iPhone Gestures List for iOS (excluding iPhone X) - Update 1 Nov 2017: There are a whole new set of gestures for the iPhone X. The gestures below are suitable for iPhone 3 / 3GS /4 / 4S / 5 / 5S / 5C / SE / 6 / 6S /6 Plus / 6S Plus / 7 / 7 Plus 8 / 8 Plus. A new article explaining the iPhone X gestures is due soon. When you get an iPhone and open the box you may have been surprised to see that there is no instruction manual. Indeed there are very few details on how to actually setup and use it READ MORE
- iPhone 8 Features: The Rumours - 11 new iPhone 8 features (or rumours) I have been keeping my eye on the web to see what rumours have been circulating about the new iPhone 8 design. I have gathered all the best rumours together together with an estimation of how likely they are to happen. Currently I have 11 of the strongest whispers from the grapevine. 1. It will have a new OLED screen Apple is considering switching from LED screens to OLED ones that are found on smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy S6.  The key difference between the two is that LCD displays use a backlight READ MORE
- iPad, iPod or iPhone Won‘t Charge? Why It Happens & How To Fix It - This article is suitable for the following issues: iPhone X not charging iPhone 8 or 8 plus not charging iPhone 7 or 7 plus not charging iPhone 6s or 6s plus not charging iPhone SE not charging iPhone 6 or 6 plus not charging iPhone 5, 5c or 5s not charging iPhone 4 or 4s not charging iPhone 3G or 3Gs not charging So you plug your cable into the power socket and connect the other end to your iPhone, iPad or iPod to charge it up. Nothing happens. Is your device broken? Perhaps the cable is at fault? Or perhaps READ MORE
- iOS 9 Slow? How To Speed It Up - If you have upgraded to iOS 9 you may find your iPhones, iPad, and iPod touch is really slow afterwards. Problems include annoying lag and a delayed response from the user interface. The lag makes your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch feel much slower on iOS 9 than it did before the upgrade. It is really annoying and may even make you wish you hadn't upgraded at all. You can try some of these tips to speed iOS 9 up. Speed test results Here are some speed test results by vloggers iAppleBytes. The videos directly compare the latest iOS 9.0.1 software to iOS READ MORE
- iOS 9 Features For iPhone & iPad - iOS 9 changes at a glance Stability and update size iOS 9 is more stable with less crashes. Not exactly exciting but important none the less Download size is 1.4GB instead of the massive 4.7GB of iOS 8 Passcode is now 6 digits long instead of 4 Search, Siri & notifications Search has been improved with recent contacts and apps appearing for quick access. It also shows news snippets and stuff that's nearby such as Parking or Restaurants Siri is faster and more accurate than before Notifications are now sorted chronologically instead of illogically grouped by app Productivity The multitasking READ MORE
- iMessage For iPhone & iPad (The 2018 Definitive Guide) - I have had a great many people get in touch with me with iMessage errors on their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch so I decided to put together a definitive guide. I cover everything you might need to know about iMessage including the stuff Apple skims over. I also wrote about how to troubleshoot and fix iMessage errors. Hopefully, this article will help answer your question, or resolve your iMessage problem. If not, feel free to leave a comment and I'll expand this guide to make it as useful as possible. What is iMessage? iMessage is a free service from READ MORE
- IMAP, SMTP, POP3 Settings For Your iPhone Email Accounts - If you want to setup your email account on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch then you need to know your incoming mail server (IMAP) and your outgoing mail server (SMTP). If your have the choice always use IMAP as it is the more modern, flexible, and secure option. If you are having difficulties getting IMAP to work then try the POP3 settings as your incoming mail server instead. Some email providers may also need the port number which I have also provided. Incoming and Outgoing mail server by Company and ISP Port numbers 1&1 Adelphia Cable AOL AT&T ATT Broadband Internet ATT WorldNet Bell READ MORE
- iCloud Unlock & Bypass For iPhone, iPad & Apple Watch (The 2018 Definitive Guide) - If you don't want to read the complete article on how to do an iCloud unlock here is a summary. If your device is iClock locked it can be unlocked, but not for free. All the free options we tested were scams. 🙁 We tested as many companies as we could find to find the fastest, cheapest, and best supported provider online. The best icloud unlocker was iPhone IMEI. They unlocked all the iCloud activation locks within 2 days. So you bought or inherited a used iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch that you want to iCloud unlock. You know the symptoms... ...when READ MORE
- How-to fix ‘Unable to determine your location’ Google Maps error on an iPhone - You may get an error on your iPhone if you use the technique in the video to create a shortcut to the Google Maps iPhone website. This is how to fix it: 1. Press the Home button on your iPhone and choose Settings. 2. Scroll down and click 'General' 3. Scroll to the bottom and tap on 'Reset' 4. Click 'Reset Location Warnings' 5. Go back to Google Maps and you will be prompted if you want Safari to be able to use location services. Say you agree and the problem will be fixed. Did you find this iPhone fix READ MORE
- How to Unlock iPhone 6 (2018 Update) - Introduction to iPhone 6 unlocking I feel your pain: You want to change networks to cut costs or get a better cell signal... ...but you can't because you can only use their SIM card in your iPhone. The phone networks have you over a barrel. When you sign up to a contract with a carrier you are stuck with them - for better or worse. Sometimes it works, but often it is a marriage made in hell. But what if I was to tell you how to unlock iPhone 6 so you can use any SIM or, use any network, READ MORE
- How to Unlock iPhone 5, 5S & 5C (Quickly & Easily) - iPhone 5 Unlocking: Summary So you want to know how to unlock iPhone 5, 5S & 5C? Here are my quick conclusions: There are 4 unlock methods that are claimed to be suitable for the iPhone 5, 5S & 5C. Hardware unlocking & software unlocking are dangerous and can cause permanent damage to your iPhone 5 The R-SIM unlock is unreliable Only 1 method works effectively and that is networking unlocking iPhone 5 (also known as IMEI or factory unlocking) What is the best way to unlock iPhone 5, 5S & 5C? Network unlocking is the best method because: It doesn't READ MORE
- How To Unlock iOS 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 iPhone If You Forgot Your Passcode - So you don't know or have forgotten the passcode on your iPhone and you can't access it. It's an awful moment. Don't panic, there is something you can do about it so that you can access your device again. I have 2 different methods that you can try in order to gain access to your iPhone again. This particular set of fixes are based round iOS 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. They won't work on iOS 6 or earlier. However I do have instructions for older iPhones to unlock iOS 6 passcodes. What type of iPad or iPhone unlock do READ MORE
- How To Unlock An iPhone If You Forgot Your Passcode And Have No Computer - I think you will agree with me when I say: Getting the 'iPhone disabled' message having tried your passcode several times makes your heart sink. It gets worse if you continue to guess at the passcode and still get it wrong. You will be thrown into a panic when it tells you "iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes". But don't panic - you can unlock your iPhone if you forgot your passcode and you can't connect it to iTunes because you don't have access to a computer. You can reset it and keep all your data. Just follow the simple READ MORE
- How To Setup a POP3 Email Account on iPhone, iPad, or Ipod Touch - Setting up your email on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch It is a fairly easy process to create a POP3 email account on your iPod Touch, iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 5 or iPad. The most difficult part is to find out what your setting are for your particular email account. Luckily I have written an article listing the most popular IMAP, SMTP, POP3 settings for your iPhone email account. The only other thing you need is your email address and password for your email account. These instruction have been created for iOS7. If you use an earlier version of iOS then READ MORE
- How to set up POP3 hotmail, live.com, or outlook.com on an iPhone - By default your iPhone will try and setup your hotmail, live.com or outlook.com email account using Exchange Active Link (EAS). Unfortunately when using EAS you may find when moving or deleting an email on your iPhone you get the error: Unable to Move Message: The message could not be moved to the mailbox. To prevent this error you can setup your iPhone using POP3 instead. How-to setup your iPhone with POP3 1. Press the Home button and choose Settings. 2. Scroll down and click Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 3. Click "Add Account..." 4. Scroll down and click "Other" 5. READ MORE
- How To Set Up iCloud on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch - iCloud is a brilliant (and free) bit of software that is on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. It backs up all your content to the internet automatically once it is configured on your device. iCloud also includes other things such as 'Find My iPhone' as well as some web based applications that lets you send email or update contacts when on the move via any web browser. iCloud Requirements Before you can use iCloud you need: Apple ID – this is the username and password you use to download stuff from iTunes An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with READ MORE
- How To Set Up ‘Find My iPhone’ - Before you setup Find My iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch you need to set up iCloud first. Once you have iCloud working you will be able to use Find My iPhone to find your device. This is really easy so don’t wait or you may too late. There are already many stories in the press about people locating their lost and stolen devices using this tool - such as ex-England rugby captain Will Carling. Requirements You will need: Apple ID – this is the username and password you use to download stuff from iTunes An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with latest version of READ MORE
- How to remove deleted messages from the iPhone Mail - Receiving emails on an iPhone can be a convenient and helpful feature. However emails can build up and take up quite a bit of memory if you don't delete them. Even after you delete an email, it should still be removed from the trash to be completely removed from your iPhone. How-to fix this issue 1. Press the Home button on your iPhone and choose Mail. 2. Click on the name of an email account. If you have multiple accounts linked to your iPhone, go to "Mailboxes" and then scroll down to the bottom where it says Accounts and select one READ MORE
- How To Remove An Apple ID From Your iPhone - If you have inherited or bought an iPhone and the previous owner has setup an Apple ID on it then you will be getting prompted for their password. You will want it removed so that you can add your own one so that you no longer get nagged about the password. How to fix this problem There are several places where the Apple ID is used, so the solution depends on the issue you want to fix: Wrong Apple ID in the App Store Wrong Apple ID in iCloud or Find My Friends What if you don't know the previous owners password? READ MORE
- How To Remotely Delete iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch Data - You can remotely delete iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch data by using the brilliant "Find My iPhone". This is perfect if you have lost your device and you want all of the data removed incase it falls into the wrong hands. After all you don't want to be identified via the information in emails, text, photos, contacts, or diary appointments on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Activation Lock is a feature of Find My iPhone that's built into devices with iOS 7 and later. It's designed to prevent reactivation of lost or stolen devices by requiring the user's Apple READ MORE
- How To Manually Add An Email Account To An iPhone - When you add an email account on your iPhone using the large buttons you only get access to some of the functionality. This is fine for most of us but sometimes you need the ability to edit advanced features. For example if you suffer from the 'iPhone IMAP error “unable to move message to trash". To get access to these advanced functions -- such as the ability to edit the IMAP Path Prefix -- you need to add the account manually. Please note: if you already have your email account on your iPhone you need to delete it before you READ MORE
- How To Get Rid Of The Lower Case iOS 9 Keyboard - Apple made a change to the iOS 9 keyboard layout because people were annoyed with the previous design which was introduced back in iOS 7 and I actually complained about on this post. The iOS 7 and 8 design showed every letter in uppercase regardless of whether it was actually a capital letter that was going to be typed. The only way to tell if the keyboard was in upper or lowercase was by looking at the shift key. However, this keyboard layout change has provide divisive. According to analysis of tweets sent during September 2015  one of the most READ MORE
- How To Fix iPhone IMAP Error “Unable To Move Message To Trash” - When moving or deleting an email on your iPhone you get the error: Unable to Move Message The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash. This only happens if you are using IMAP servers for your email and isn't an issue for POP mailboxes. The same error can also appear on an iPad when using mail. This is because the error is caused by the iPhone operating system iOS and not by a broken device. This problem is a well known software 'glitch' that has been around since 2012. Luckily it has a fairly simple fix that only takes READ MORE
- How to access outlook.com, live.com or hotmail on your iPhone via Safari - If you have problems with your email on your iPhone AND you use hotmail or outlook.com then the best thing to do is access your email via Safari. What type of error? Well, for example you may suffer from the error: Unable to Move Message: The message could not be moved to the mailbox. How-to access your outlook.com email via a web browser 1. Open Safari 2. Type in www.outlook.com 3. Provide your email address and password when requested 4. If you're on your iPhone, you may get a warning saying you need to upgrade your browser to a READ MORE
- How Do You Unlock An iPhone If You Forgot Your Passcode? - iPhone Passcode unlock I think you’ll agree with me when I say: Forgetting your password or passcode for your iPhone is a nightmare. But here's the deal: It is possible to gain access to your iPhone and not lose any data if you follow the instructions below carefully. It can be done. This article will explain what you need to do in simple, easy to follow steps to reset the passcode and gain access to your iPhone again. Which model of iPhone does this apply to? These instructions will work for iPhone 3 / 3GS /4 / 4S / 5 READ MORE
- How Do You Unlock An iPhone If You Forgot Your Passcode And Not Synced To iTunes? - When you set up a passcode to secure your iPhone and you enter the wrong passcode, you will get the "disabled" message. If you enter the wrong passcode less than 5 times then there is no problem. However, once you get it wrong 6 times or more your iPhone will be disabled. The length of time it is disabled for increases for each additional wrong guess. Eventually, if you make too many wrong attempts it will lock your iPhone completely until you can prove you are the owner. The consequences of wrong guesses are as follows: 6 incorrect goes: Your READ MORE
- How Do I Fix iPhone Call Failed Error? - So you have a full strength signal and all the features of your iPhone appear to work properly - SMS, email, wi-fi. However, you find that you simply can't call anyone on your iPhone without getting a message that says "Call Failed". It may not fix the issue permanently, but it should allow you to get round the iphone call failed error and make a call. How to fix this error 1. Press the Home button and choose Settings. 2. Scroll down and click Phone. 3. Scroll down and click Show My Caller ID. 4. Switch this off and on again. READ MORE
- Guide To Icons and Symbols on iPhone Status Bar - Status bar icons and symbols on the iPhone There are a whole set of icons that appear along the top of your iPhone on the status bar. Some symbols you may be aware of as you see them every day - such as the mobile/cell signal. But others are more obscure. I have put together a full list of icons and symbols you can expect to see on an iPhone. It should explain what those odd-looking iPhone symbols mean. iOS 6 and earlier Which iPhone models are likely to have these icons? The iPhones that may have iOS 6 or READ MORE
- Fix iPhone Screen & iPhone Glass Replacement Options - 4 Ways +1 to Repair Your iPhone Screen There are many ways to fix iPhone screen, unfortunately the most obvious option – Apple – is not usually the best choice. I’m going to help you figure out which repair option is best for you. Even if you’ve never had an iPhone screen break, I’m sure you know someone who has. Bookmark this page, you’ll want to have this guide handy in the future. The Apple Way Apple is naturally the first place people go to get their iPhone glass replaced, but most are surprised to find that their 1-year warranty with Apple does READ MORE
- Clear Space On Your iPhone, iPad or iPod Without Deleting Photos Or Videos - If you are like me your iPhone, iPad or iPod will constantly be running out of storage space. This means you have to delete something valuable to create room to take more photos or videos. However your device is crammed with loads of un-required stuff that can be cleared to make more space. This article explains how to find, and remove this 'other' data from your iPhone, iPod or iPad. Of course if you don't want to go through this whole process then you can always expand the storage space on your iPhone or iPad using the clever SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive. READ MORE
- Can You Access iPhone Data If You Forgot Your Passcode? - Forgot your passcode for your iPhone? I think you will agree with me when I say: There are too many passwords to remember these days. It is so easy to forget them. And there is nothing worse than that feeling of doom in the pit of your stomach when you realise you have forgot your passcode. No matter how many times you try your iPhone or iPad just won't accept your passcode even though you know you are typing in the right one. Then you know you are screwed. Or are you? I have some good news for you... You READ MORE
- Apple iPhone Repairs – Fix Your Faulty iPhone or iPad - Does your broken iPhone need repaired or replaced? Apple iPhone repairs Rather than spend a fortune replacing your iPhone why not try top get it repaired first? If you ask Apple to do this it will cost a fortune and in many cases they are unable or unwilling to fix it. They'd rather sell you another one. However there are some good companies that do a brilliant job at repairing faulty iPhones, iPad's and other Apple devices. From screen repair to battery replacement they do it all. If you are in the USA I'd use iResQ for Apple iPhone repairs Been in READ MORE
- 3 Ways The iPhone 6S Was Worse Than The iPhone 6 - Leaked specs of the iPhone 6S shows 3 issues With the release date of the iPhone 6S and 6S plus fast approaching almost every feature of the new phone and the operating system has been revealed. Unfortunately this has shown up 3 things that are actually going to cause problems in the new iPhone, compared to the previous model. I have no doubt Apple will gloss over these issues and try to sell them as benefits. I feel it is my duty to lay out the problems in black and white so you can decide if they are important enough to avoid READ MORE