The iCloud Activation Lock is available on Mac mini computers with Apple silicon or the Apple T2 Security Chip. This includes the 4th generation of Mac mini released in 2018 and the 5th generation released in 2020.
The iCloud lock is part of Apple’s security system administered via Find My and is now found on all new Mac computers.
Find My and the Activation Lock can’t be used on Mac mini 3rd generation models, or older.
This guide explains how to bypass Activation Lock on Mac mini 4th generation, or newer.
The subjects covered in this article, include:
- How to turn off Find My.
- Free iCloud unlocking techniques.
- Paid bypass options.
- Online services.
- Tools, hacks, and jailbreaking.
- bypass code.
To get your Mac mini unlocked – even without the previous owner’s help, or knowing the Apple ID and password – keep reading…
Table of Contents
Mac mini iCloud bypass methods
An iCloud bypass is used to unlock an Mac mini from its linked Apple ID. It is easy to bypass the iCloud lock by following this guide.
The bypass techniques given are specific to the following Mac mini models:
- Mac mini (M1, 2020) – 4th generation.
- Mac mini (2022) – 5th generation.
Free iCloud unlock
If the iCloud Activation Lock prevents you from using your Mac, the official solution is to unlock it using your Apple ID and password. This turns off Find My.
If you can’t remember your Apple ID or password, you can use iForgot to reset them. You will be able to recover your account by following the on-screen instructions.
If you don’t even recall your Apple ID, you can find it in the following ways:
- On another Apple product you own, go to iCloud or Media and purchases.
- On Apple Mac you own, look at System preferences. > Apple ID.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Apple ID
- On your Apple ID recovery page, click If you have forgotten your Apple ID, you can look it up.
For more information, see Apple ID password reset.
To remove Activation Lock on a Mac mini you need to turn off Find My Mac. The easiest way to do this is as follows:
- On your computer, click the Apple menu .
- Then, select System Preferences.
- On the System Preferences dialog, pick Apple ID.
- In the sidebar, select iCloud.
- On the right, deselect Find My Mac.
From another device
To turn off Find My Mac and Activation Lock on another iPhone, iPod Toch, or iPod you own:
- On your other device, tap Settings.
- Tap on [your name].
- Scroll down and all of your devices will be listed. Select the Mac mini.
- Tap Remove from account.
- Confirm the removal by clicking Remove.
- The Activation Lock and Find My Mac will be disabled.
For more information, see remotely turn off Find My.
Via Apple website
The Activation Lock can be bypassed by disabling Find My via a web browser as follows:
- Go to appleid.apple.com, then Sign in.
- On the menu, pick Devices.
- Next, pick the Mac mini from the device list.
- To finalize the bypass, click the Remove from account button.
If you can’t get in touch with the previous owner, you can’t recall the Apple ID or password, you can remove the Mac mini Activation Lock yourself using an activation lock bypass tool or service.
There are many companies online that claim they are able to bypass Activation Lock but my testing has shown most of them don’t work. You need to use a reputable company to avoid being ripped off.
Scams to watch out for:
- Tools that don’t work.
- Fake online services.
- PDF downloads with fake instructions.
Price to unlock iCloud on Mac mini
Prices range from $30 USD to $100 USD to unlock iCloud on a Mac mini.
One technique we noticed was the tendency for suppliers to break their fees into 2 parts:
- An up-front deposit.
- A final payment.
It is in the supplier’s interest to look inexpensive, so they tend to keep the deposit low. However, they increase the price by charging a much larger final fee which brings the overall cost up.
When we looked for the best iCloud tools and services, we took this into account.
Pros and cons of paying for an iCloud unlock
- Once completed, you can use your Mac normally.
- All functions and features work.
- The fix is permanent – you only need to do it once.
- No special technical skills are required.
- Many services don’t work.
- It is not free.
- It can take a few days to complete.
In a recent review, I tested a range of tools to find the best online iCloud bypass service that can remove the Activation Lock. I concluded the best service at this time was provided by DirectUnlocks.
At the time of writing, the unlock fee was £29.99 GBP, which is around $38 USD.
To find out more, see how to get rid of the iCloud Lock.
To unlock your Mac mini using this service:
- Go to DirectUnlocks.
- Enter the Mac serial number.
- Then in the device model drop-down menu, pick Mac.
- Click Unlock iCloud!
- To continue, agree to the terms and conditions.
- Choose your preferred payment method.
- Provide your contact details and wait for an email confirming the unlock has been completed.
Hacking using a tool
There are many tools that claim to hack the Activation Lock so it is disabled or removed. They vary in quality from excellent to dangerous. If you pick the wrong one you can break your device and infect your computer with viruses and open yourself up to fraud.
In our tests, we found none of the tools were able to bypass iCloud on a Mac mini. This may change with time as the tools improve.
Using bypass code
Apple tries to make it easy for businesses and schools to manage their stock of Apple products, such as Mac computers. They include a management suite that allows the organization to remotely control the devices given to their students or employees.
If you have a managed Mac mini for example, then it can be controlled by the organization that gave it to you. Among other things, this allows organizations to remove the Activation Lock from supervised devices prior to device activation without knowing the userʼs personal Apple ID and password.
This is done via the profile manager by using an Activation Lock bypass code.
The bypass code does not work for all Apple devices, only for those controlled by an organization like a business or school. So if you have a standard Mac you use at home, then you won’t be able to get rid of the Activation Lock using a bypass code as it is not a supervised device.
What exactly is the Activation Lock?
Find My is a free app that helps find lost or stolen Apple devices. It now protects computers, including the Mac mini, from theft by allowing remote locking and remote data removal.
When you enable Find My Mac on your computer, the Activation Lock is automatically turned on. So if your Mac mini is stolen, it is almost impossible for anyone else to use it unless they know your Apple ID and password.
In addition, a Mac mini also needs the following:
- macOS Catalina or newer installed.
- Two-factor authentication for Apple ID enabled.
- On a Mac mini 5th generation or newer, the security policy must be set to Full Security.
- On a Mac mini 4th generation, startup security must be set to Secure Boot and Disallow booting from external media.
To find out more, see Activation Lock for Mac.
Due to the strict new security measures in place on the Mac mini, many buyers of used computers are getting caught out with the iCloud Activation Lock.
This has encouraged many scammers to the market, ready to rip people off.
If you want to be 100% safe from scams, only use the official Apple methods to turn off Find My Mac and bypass iCloud Activation Lock. However, to do this successfully you need to know the correct Apple ID and password.
If you don’t know the Apple ID password, or can’t get in touch with the previous owner then use the recommended supplier in this guide to avoid being scammed.
If you click a link to go through to a provider, we may get paid. This only happens if you buy a service. This is what funds us, and keeps us free to use. For a more detailed explanation see our affiliate disclosure.