Are you struggling with unlocking your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus, especially when the passcode slips your mind or is unknown?
Our definitive guide is here to rescue you with a myriad of methods, each tested and verified for effectiveness.
In this guide, you’ll discover:
- Cost-free passcode unlocking techniques
Unlock your iPhone without spending a dime using our verified methods.
- Unlocking without a computer
Solutions for bypassing the passcode even when a computer is not at your disposal.
- Handpicked software tools
Expert-recommended software tools for unlocking your device and data recovery.
- Navigating recovery mode
A detailed walkthrough on utilizing recovery mode for unlocking.
- Apple’s official passcode reset protocol
A clear explanation of the process sanctioned by Apple for resetting your passcode.
- Data preservation post-unlocking
Techniques to retain your data post-reset, without needing a full restore.
- Utilizing Touch ID
Instructions for setting up and using Touch ID effectively in the absence of a password or Face ID.
Released in 2017, the iPhone 8 series integrates Touch ID and a passcode feature for enhanced security. While it doesn’t boast Face ID like its contemporary, the iPhone X, its security mechanisms are robust and unique. This guide is meticulously tailored for:
Our guide is the result of extensive research and hands-on experience, crafted to assist you in safely and efficiently unlocking your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus. Whether you’re a tech novice or savvy user, this guide promises to be your reliable companion through the unlocking process.
Table of Contents
iPhone 8 unlocking methods, tips, and tools
Using Find My and iCloud
If you have access to another computer, smartphone, or tablet you can use them to unlock the passcode via the iCloud website.
To do so, do the following:
- On the other device, go to iCloud.com.
- If you have Two Factor Authentication turned on, you will be prompted for your authentication code.
- Once signed in, click Find iPhone.
- All the Apple devices you own will be located.
- Once your devices have been located, they will appear on a map.
- At the top of the screen, select All Devices and select your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus from the list.
- Next, click Erase iPhone to remove the passcode. This process will also remove all the data from your iOS device.
- On the dialog box that pops open, confirm you want to erase the device.
- The passcode and all the data will be removed from your iPhone.
- Once erased, set up your device and restore the contents of your iPhone 8.
It is a good idea to verify when the iPhone’s last backup was completed – to make sure it contains all your data before erasing your device.
Using recovery mode
Apple recommends you use recovery mode to wipe the passcode, then restore the data as shown in the following video:
To use recovery mode, you will need:
- A PC with Windows 8, or newer and iTunes installed, or a Mac.
- Your passcode locked iPhone 8 or 8 Plus.
- A USB lightning cable to connect the phone to the computer.
To use recovery mode do the following:
- Press and hold both the side button and the Volume down button on your iPhone 8 until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off your device, then wait a minute to make sure it turns off completely.
- Press and hold the iPhone 8 side button while immediately connecting it to the computer. Don’t let go of the button.
- Keep holding the button until you see the recovery mode screen on your iPhone, then let go. If you see the passcode screen, you need to turn off your iPhone and start again.
- Locate your iPhone in the Finder or in iTunes on the computer.
- When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. Your computer downloads software for your iPhone 8 and begins the restore process. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then turn off your iPhone and start again.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Once done, disconnect your iPhone from the computer, then set up your iPhone.
For more information, see Recovery mode for iPhone.
Using Touch ID
If you have Touch ID configured on your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, do the following:
- Press the Touch ID sensor on the home button to unlock the screen. Make sure you use the correct finger. The lock icon at the top of the lock screen animates from closed to open to indicate that your device is unlocked.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to use the device.
To lock the phone again:
- Press the side button, or
- don’t touch the screen for a minute or two, your iPhone 8 locks automatically.
If you don’t have Touch ID enabled, find out how to Set up Touch ID on iPhone.
Using Apple Watch
You can use a paired Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone 8 by doing the following:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings
- Tap Face ID & Passcode.
- Scroll down, then below Unlock with Apple Watch turn on Apple Watch.
To unlock your iPhone 8, your Apple Watch must:
- Have a passcode.
- Be unlocked and on your wrist.
- Be close to your iPhone.
Using software (if you don’t have a backup)
The official Apple passcode reset technique used if you forget your passcode uses recovery mode to wipe the contents of your iPhone 8. To get the data back, you recover the erased information from a backup.
But what if you don’t have a backup?
There are a couple of solutions you can try – one free and one paid – that will remove the passcode and recover the missing data.
Use these tools with care. They are our recommended options, but you use them at your own risk. We can’t be held responsible for data loss caused by following the guidance in this article.
There is a free unlock method that is worth trying on all iPhone 8 models.
It has quite a low success rate, but if you want to try a free way to unlock your passcode and keep your data – even without a restore – then it is worth trying.
If this tool fails it tends to be when it attempts to connect to the phone so it won’t cause data loss.
- This technique uses a software tool called IPSW to hack your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus.
- You download IPSW to a PC (not a Mac) and use it to hack the passcode without erasing your data.
For step-by-step instructions, see unlock iPhone 8 or 8 Plus without restore or watch the video below.
There is also a few paid software tool you can try to unlock the phone’s screen.
All these tools run on a computer, so you will need a PC or Mac to run them.
|#1 LockWiper||★★★★★||Removes locks such as passcode, Face ID, Apple ID, MDM lock, & screen time lock.|
|#2 D-Back iPhone Data Recovery||★★★★★||Recovers erased data from an iOS device, iTunes, or iCloud – including photos, messages, and more…|
|★★★★||Recovers 35 deleted file types from iOS devices, iTunes, or iCloud backups.|
The passcode unlocking process works as follows:
- Download and install one of the recommended data recovery tools.
- Before resetting your device, test the data recovery program to see if it will get back deleted files from your phone. If so, move on to the next step. If not, try the other tool.
- Download and install the passcode removal tool.
- Use the passcode removal tool to unlock the iPhone 8 screen. The phone’s data will be wiped. Only do this if you have tested that you can restore deleted files. Make sure you understand that even after testing, you may not be able to get your data back.
- Recover your data from the wiped phone using the data recovery tool you verified in step 2.
For more detailed instructions, see Unlock iPhone without a restore after forgetting your passcode.
Without a computer to use
There are 3 ways to unlock an iPhone 8 passcode if you don’t have a computer:
- Ask for help from a friend, family member, or colleague. Borrow their smartphone, tablet, or computer to go online using a web browser and log in to your iCloud account and erase the passcode from there. For more information on accessing your iCloud account, see How to sign in to your iCloud account.
- Download the Find My app onto another Apple device you own, such as an iPad. You can use the app to remotely erase your iPhone 8 and remove the passcode.
- Go into your nearest Apple Store or Apple reseller and ask them to help you perform the passcode reset using one of their computers.
For more information, see Unlock iPhone passcode without a computer.
Navigating the intricate labyrinth of iPhone security can be a daunting task, especially when you’re locked out of your device. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, with their unique security features, present their own set of challenges. However, as we’ve explored in this comprehensive guide, there are various methods available – both free and paid, with or without a computer, and using the trusted Touch ID – to unlock your device and gain access once more.
Always approach any unlocking technique with caution, keeping in mind the potential risks to your data. If possible, maintain regular backups of your phone to ensure you can always retrieve your precious information. But for those unexpected moments when you’re locked out, it’s reassuring to know that there are solutions at hand. From recovery mode to using an Apple Watch, this guide has aimed to provide clarity and assistance, making the process as smooth as possible for iPhone 8 and 8 Plus users.
Should you ever find yourself in such a predicament, revisit this article for a refresher. And always remember, while technology has its challenges, there’s usually a way out with a bit of guidance and patience.