Forgetting your password or passcode for your iPhone may seem like the end of the world. However, it is possible to gain access to your data if you follow the instructions below carefully. These instructions will work for iPhone 3/3GS/4/4S/5/5S/5C/SE/6/6S/6 plus/6S plus. The security is more dependent on the version of iOS you are using than the actual model of iPhone you have.
Firstly pick the version of iOS you have installed on your iPhone to get the right instructions:
If you try to unlock your iPhone but you have forgotten your passcode you will end up locking your phone as shown below
After too many attempts, your iPhone will say “iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes”.
You can unlock an iPhone if you forgot your passcode.
You do this by restoring your iPhone from the last backup – this removes the passcode from your locked iPhone while retaining your data. This may take a few hours to complete.
How to fix this error
The fix you need to unblock your iPhone passcode depends on your circumstances.
- How to unlock your iPhone passcode if you have previously synced your iPhone to iTunes
- How to unlock your iPhone passcode if you have never synced your iPhone to iTunes
- How to unlock your iPhone passcode if you don’t have access to a computer
1. Synchronise your iPhone to your computer – you can do this even if you iPhone is locked. This creates a backup of everything on your phone. Obviously this works best if you have access to the computer your regularly sync your iPhone with.
The video below explains how to sync an iPhone if you are unsure.
2. While your iPhone is still connected to your computer reboot your iPhone by holding down the power and home buttons at the same time. As soon as the Apple logo appears, let go of the power button but keep the home button depressed until you see a “Connect to iTunes” message appear on the iPhone screen.
3. On your computer, you will see a message appear in iTunes that a phone in recovery mode has been detected. You will be prompted to choose whether you want to restore your iPhone to factory settings, or restore it from a backup – if you want to put all of your personal information, contacts, messages, etc. back on to your phone, be sure to choose to restore it from the backup you performed in step 1.
The video below shows how the restore process works if you are unsure.
4. Your passcode will be erased and then all of your data will be restored from your backup. Once this process completes, the passcode will have been removed from your iPhone, and you should now be able to access it without any problems.
Considering upgrading to the new iPhone 6s or 6s Plus?
**The following text contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on these links.
Before you splurge on such an expensive device, you might want to seriously consider upgrading your phone to the iPhone 6, instead. The iPhone 6 has many of the same awesome features offered by the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. Yet, it’s significantly cheaper — especially if you buy it through Gazelle Certified.
It’s also important to consider that Gazelle Certified devices go through a 30+-point inspection process to ensure their quality and functionality. Plus, Gazelle Certified devices come with a 30-day return policy so you can test-drive the iPhone 6 to see if you like it. Lastly, you can get around those pesky carrier contracts because Gazelle Certified means no contracts. You can simply get a great phone at a great price without strings attached.
It’s totally cool to upgrade, but upgrade smart so you don’t spend a mint on a phone that may not live up to the hype.
Did you find this iPhone fix helpful?
If you found this fix helpful please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the top of this page. I’d really appreciate it. 🙂
Also, if you are feeling extra generous after having your issue solved please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It encourages me to find further solutions to those awkward little iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and Mac problems that we all suffer from.
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to help you again soon!
Get my Apple iOS 9 guide FREE!
Click the link below to signup for our guide showing you how the latest version of Apple’s Operating System – iOS 9 – will work on your iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini or iPod Touch for free!
That’s right, a free user guide showing you the new features.