Wondering if you will be able to install iOS 9 on your iPhone, iPad or iPad mini?
The good new is that iOS 9 works on all the devices that work with iOS 8. So if you already have iOS 8 installed you are good to go!
How to download iOS 9
Part 1: Backup your iPhone or iPad
1. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using the supplied charging cable to do a manual backup to iTunes.
2. Open iTunes on your computer.
3. Click the small iPhone icon at the top left just below the Play button. The Summary page should open.
4. Select ‘This computer” as the backup location by clicking on the radio button under the “Backups” section half way down the page.
5. Click the “Back Up Now” button and let your device backup.
6. Once completed go into the iTunes preferences (iTunes > Preferences on a Mac or File > Preferences on a PC).
7. Click Devices from the menu at the top (the second last option)
8. Right click on the backup you just completed and choose “Archive” as shown below. This keeps this backup safe and stops it being overwritten.
9. That’s your backup done so now you are ready to download iOS 9.
Part 2: Download iOS 9
1. Start the Safari web browser on your iPhone or iPad. Don’t use your computer because you need to download the profile direct to your iPhone or iPad.
2. Click the following link beta.Apple.com/profile or type it in to your browser.
3. Sign in to the page using your Apple account.
4. Agree to the terms and conditions.
5. A page like the one (below) will appear. Scroll down and click the link that says “enrole your iOS device”.
6. Scroll down and click the link that says “Download Profile”, as shown below. This will download iOS 9 to your device.
7. Select “Install” in the top right corner of the iOS 9 beta software profile menu and enter your phone or tablet’s passcode.
8. Agree to the consent form and click Install.
9. Click the “Restart” button to install the profile ready for the iOS 9 update.
Please note that this doesn’t actually install iOS 9 – you need to do that afterwards. See the next section for details.
Part 3: Install iOS 9
1. Click Settings > General > Software Update
2. Click “Download and install” to begin the installation process
3. Once downloaded you will be asked to install the update.
It’ll read “Verifying update…” and don’t be alarmed if it fails. My first four iOS 9 beta install attempts came back with “Unable to Install Update,” telling me “An error occurred install iOS 9 Beta 1.” Try, try and try again.
4. Continue through the Update Completed menu, log into iCloud with your Apple ID, decide whether or not to share diagnostics with app developers and you’re done.
Did you find this helpful?
If you found this article enjoyable please take a moment to tweet, like, or share this article by using the buttons at the top of this page. I’d really appreciate it. 🙂
Also, if you are feeling extra generous please leave some encouraging feedback in the comments section at the bottom of the page. I love getting feedback from visitors. It encourages me to write more iPhone, iPad, and iOS articles.
Thanks for taking the time to read my website and I hope to help you again soon!
Get my Apple iOS 10 guide FREE!
Click the link below to signup for our guide showing you how the latest version of Apple’s Operating System – iOS 10 – will work on your iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini or iPod Touch for free!
That’s right, a free user guide showing you the new features.